New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini for iTunes server?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ned911

ned911 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 Mac Mini

Right now I'm using an old Mini-ITX WinXP machine to run iTunes which is used in conjunction with ATV-2 and my other Windows machines for music. Basically a media server.

Problem is the PC is unreliable and locks up, freezes etc.

Was thinking of replacing this with a Mac Mini if they are more stable. If so would it matter which one I got - buying used. Certain specs to look for?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Always to good to get at least an Intel CPU version so you have OS upgrade options. Were it me, I'd try to find a good deal on one with a Core 2 Duo CPU so you can run contemporary software and OS's. It wouldn't hurt to select a model that accepts 4GB or 677Mhz RAM as well. Some of the older systems have a DVI port instead of HDMI, whic is a good thing for some folks. The DVI doesn't have many of the DMCA protections baked in so if you connect to a TV at some point, you may have less issues. Good luck!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading my MacPro | Data Retrieval on Mac OSX 10.4.11 »