New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Applecare for installing a wireless card?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mackerley

Mackerley is on a distinguished road

Without getting into too much detail, I am wondering if my Applecare will cover the wires that connect to an internal Airport card in my Mac Pro. I was installing a card myself and ended up breaking the head unit off of one of the wires that attaches to the card.

(FYI, the card still functions. Mac Pro has 3 wires that can connect but only 2 need to actually be connected to the card)

If I take my machine in to Apple (after removing the card) will they replace the wire? Thanks for any help you can provide!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The "straight-up" honest answer is...Applecare does not cover damage done by a user "poking" around on the inside of a computer...doing their own repairs.

If your prior Airport card was faulty (and the computer was covered with Applecare)...the computer probably should have been taken to an Apple Store (or shipped to Apple) for the failed Airport card repair.

With this being said...take your computer to an Apple Store...and see what they will do. But like I mentioned...this would have been the best thing to do in the first place.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mackerley

Thanks Nick, good advice as always. The computer never had a wireless card. I was installing one for the first time so I didn't want to shell out extra $$ for labor. They wouldn't know the damage was done by a user if I took the old card out...not sure if they would replace the wires without obvious proof that a person had been in there trying to install a new one. Guess it would be a gamble...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerley View Post
Thanks Nick, good advice as always. The computer never had a wireless card. I was installing one for the first time so I didn't want to shell out extra $$ for labor.
Sorry...I assumed incorrectly that your Mac Pro already had a wireless card in it. When folks pay as much as they do for a Mac Pro...the little bit of extra $$$ for the optional (and VERY useful) Airport card is peanuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerley View Post
They wouldn't know the damage was done by a user if I took the old card out...not sure if they would replace the wires without obvious proof that a person had been in there trying to install a new one. Guess it would be a gamble...
Depending on how this Airport card wire is attached to the logic board...WHOA...this repair could be as serious as a logic board swap (depending on the capabilities of the Apple Store to repair the wire).

I think you just got to take it in and see what they will do about it...since it sounds like you still have Applecare on it. If you take it in...please let us know how things turn out.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And also as Nick suggests it looks like your responsibility as fitting Bluetooth and Airport to Mac Pros is considered a technician only task. With any luck you may have broken the lead that does not attach to the card.
QUOTE Thanks
Mackerley

Thanks guys, I agree that the wireless card is small change and should have been installed in the beginning. I forgot to mention that this is a used machine so it was part of the bargain. Thanks for the advice I will let you know how it goes if I take it in!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic Mouse. | Reliable backup: Raid or Time machine »