Installing a new OS
    Hi everyone

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I've never updated an OS before on a Mac or PC.

Basically, at the moment I'm on Tiger 10.4.7 and I need to be on Snow Leopard.

If I install Snow Leopard from disc, will my existing applications need to be reinstalled following the install. If so I will have to check I still have the discs for Pro Tools and Logic Pro in particular.

Also, my Mac Pro has 2 hard drives so in this case, if the apllications would normally require a reinstall, could I copy them temporarily over to the secondary drive, install the OS on the main hard drive and then copy them back over>

North AL
    Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
    FWIW....I may be wrong, but I think you'll have to install Leopard before you can install Snow Leopard. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject can confirm/deny.
    Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    There is no direct upgrade path from 10.4 to 10.6. You have to do a clean install.

What I would recommend is using SuperDuper to backup to an external drive or your secondary drive. Once that's done, boot from the 10.6 disc, use Disk Utility to erase your system disk and then do the 10.6 install.

You will be prompted during the initial boot to transfer files from 'another Mac'. Opt to do so and then point the Migration Assistant to your backup drive. All of your apps, settings and documents should get pulled right in.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Information