New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac G4 MDD M8570

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thomash

thomash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4, dual 1ghz, Model M8570 (ebay buy)

Hi people,

got an Power Mac G4 mirror door drive, model number M8570. Got it off ebay described as tested and working. I love the look of those machines and I've always heard how reliable they are so got one off ebay. It starts up ok but crashes after 10 minutes or so. I checked the power supply as described by the apple manual and get zero readings. But yet the thing starts up and appears to be ok. Anyway, to cut a long story short i'd like to know any ideas on what could be causing this. I'm no apple expert but am becoming one with each passing day. i'm using the hard drive off my old emac, the spec for the Power Mac states it takes an ultra ATA drive? is mine an ultra? no idea. Could that be the problem? Tonight it ran for almost 3 hours with no issues then the crash. No mouse activity and no keyboard activity, but I was running some streaming video off a website. maybe it does not like it. I'm thinking the machine is not getting enough power to drive the logic board but would like other thoughts and experiences please.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

No, I doubt the HD from the eMac is the problem, nor is the power supply a likely culprit. The logic board may be faulty, but I'd start with the RAM. There may be insufficient RAM, or the seller may have put cheap PC RAM into the machine. Your G4 MDD will take up to 2 GB of low density Mac-compatible RAM.

Get a little utility called Memtest OS X and give it a run. Then get Mactracker and check every spec for that G4 MDD.

Keep us posted on developments, and tell us your full Mac specs. In your profile is best.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And open her up and do a thorough clean out as dust is the enemy of Wind Tunnel's, the colloquial name for MDD models. Pay attention in particular to the inlet near the front leg, and the front fan. If you do a Google there are many items of dudt cuadsing heating and shut down problems.
QUOTE Thanks
thomash

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Gave it a good clean as soon as it arrived. Full of fluff it was. I'll follow your advices when I get home tonight. I've got a couple of days to check it over again before I make a decision to keep or return so i'll keep you posted.
QUOTE Thanks
thomash

Hi brothers, well used my common senses and took the machine apart. Thought for a bit removed the heatsink gave the processor a gentle press down. But more importantly I changed from slots J20 and J23 to J21 and J22 and i'm now writing this message from the machine that was crashing every ten minutes but has run now for over twelve hours over the past three days with no crashes. I've tried all the heavy programs, converting huge video clips (over 1GB files) and playing games. Still more tests to do, check the firewire ports and install the second drive. We'll see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is great. It really sounded like a RAM issue. I had a 500Mhz G4 that I gave to a friend wanting to mess with OSX that had that issue. I cleaned the ram slots then all of them worked.

Good going and thanks for coming back and reporting your success! If we can ever help in the future, let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Every thing just need to be reseated...also check the video card is seated. It may be a good idea to repair permissions in the disk utility.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAID Card & associated Hard drives disappeared | iMac 27" - Which to buy? »