New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How much ram is too much ram??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bostok

bostok is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I am a professional ad photographer and I do a lot of imaging and I am thinking of getting the imac with 16gb of 1333 ram. Is that overkill?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It's not overkill but I can not see ever using that much memory even for large images. If you do decide on adding that much memory, be sure to buy it from a reliable third party reseller like OWC or Crucial and not directly from Apple. You might want to think about starting out with 8 GB first to see if that is adequate for your needs.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

No. Better to have more than not enough.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi

I do a lot of complex 3D medical imaging manipulation and I have the maximum of 16GB RAM on my newest iMac.

I do not have the technical knowledge to enter the debate on the optimum RAM versus processor speed and all the rest.

But I like to learn and I wonder why chscag advises against Apple's pre-installed RAM in favour of a third party which presumably necessitates that the owner buys the RAM separately and then has to install it.

Are the advantages of doing this so overwhelming that learning how to go about installing the RAM overrides the convenience of a package from Apple?

My computer immaturity means that I am terrified of tinkering with my iMac which would seem to put me a disadvantage.

No offence intended. Genuinely curious.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
But I like to learn and I wonder why chscag advises against Apple's pre-installed RAM in favour of a third party which presumably necessitates that the owner buys the RAM separately and then has to install it.

Are the advantages of doing this so overwhelming that learning how to go about installing the RAM overrides the convenience of a package from Apple?
Money, mostly, probably.. Apple charges probably double the cost of doing it yourself.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Yes, as s2odin states it's all about the money. Installing memory in your new iMac is very easy and there certainly is no point in paying Apple a premium price for something you can do just as well.

Apple has designed the new iMac and even the new Mac Mini so that the owner could very easily add memory to his\her machine. That's why I recommend doing it yourself rather than spending the extra money.

As far as the amount is concerned, your 16 GB is fine. The new iMac has four memory slots which make it very convenient to add memory in pairs; unlike the MacBook and older iMacs which only have two slots.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

HOLY COW!!!!

Apple - $1,000 to upgrade from 4GB to 16GB in the new iMacs

OWC - $260

Crucial - $280

I need to set up a workshop right outside the Apple stores and start selling them for $500. 10 a day and I could retire in another year or two.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Point taken!

I wave the white flag in defeat.

Thanks to all of you.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

I just got the 27 i7 and stayed with apple default 4 gigs of ram. I plan on purchasing 8 gig from crucial or owc for around 160. So 160 will put me at 12 gigs of ram and I can always upgrade the original 4 down the road when need to.

2.93 27inch imac with ssd+2tb,2.6 XPS720 vista64 8gig_17 2.6 MBP with 4gig and 200gig 7200 rpm_ATV 160 gig_iphone32gs_AEBS_1TB timecapsule,and drobofs
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Too much? More than your Mac can handle.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

As already mentioned, too much RAM is better than not enough but everyone can easily check to see if they need more RAM by starting up Activity Monitor in their Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

Check it at the end of the day on a busy computer day and see if you have a lot of page outs and swap usage. If you have zero for both then it's most likely you have enough RAM for most of your tasks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I get sound to my receiver from my Imac I7? | Repairing Permissions »