New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

read/write ext HD to new iMac 10.6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Redhalton

Redhalton is on a distinguished road

Hi

I recently upgraded my iMac from a 2 1/2 year old iMac 24" to my new system which is the latest model iMac 27", specs are in my signature. With the old iMac I was running at least 4 ext HD and all was well. Now with the new system 2 of the extHD are read only. Right now I need to focus on the HD where there is data I'd like to keep. I guess I could reformat the drive but that would also erase the data and this is what I'm trying to avoid.

How would you recommend I proceed and how can I avoid this problem in the future?

I really look forward to some help in resolving this issue and appreciate anything you can offer.

Cheers!

iMac 27" OSX 10.6 |2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
| iPhone | iPod |
www.10grand.ca
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As you can see, the Free Agent drive is formatted to NTFS which means by default your new iMac running Snow Leopard can only read from it. What you can do is turn on the built in NTFS read - write capability of Snow Leopard by downloading and installing this free utility: ntfsMounter
QUOTE Thanks
Redhalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
As you can see, the Free Agent drive is formatted to NTFS which means by default your new iMac running Snow Leopard can only read from it. What you can do is turn on the built in NTFS read - write capability of Snow Leopard by downloading and installing this free utility: ntfsMounter
Thank you. I downloaded the app, printed out the readme.txt, followed through as instructed and now need a little help in completing the operation. As it stands right now the 'NTFS Mounter' is on my desktop and in the applications folder. When I open, it simply takes me back to the original download window where one moves an app to the applications folder.

It states in the readme.txt file that an icon will be added to your 'status menu' Clicking this icon will search for connected NTFS volumes.

Where is this 'status menu' for the life of me I can't find anything to move this operation forward.

Thx

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
| iPhone | iPod |
www.10grand.ca
QUOTE Thanks
Redhalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhalton View Post
Thank you. I downloaded the app, printed out the readme.txt, followed through as instructed and now need a little help in completing the operation. As it stands right now the 'NTFS Mounter' is on my desktop and in the applications folder. When I open, it simply takes me back to the original download window where one moves an app to the applications folder.

It states in the readme.txt file that an icon will be added to your 'status menu' Clicking this icon will search for connected NTFS volumes.

Where is this 'status menu' for the life of me I can't find anything to move this operation forward.

Thx
Sorry..found the 'Black Cat' worked beautifully. Thanks for everything.

Cheers!
Bob

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
| iPhone | iPod |
www.10grand.ca
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhalton View Post
Sorry..found the 'Black Cat' worked beautifully. Thanks for everything. Cheers! Bob
The "Black Cat" is kind of hard to find unless you know where to look. Glad it's working for you. Have fun and visit often.
QUOTE Thanks
Redhalton

Well i'm sad to say it looked like it was working but on 2 tries, the transfer stops at about half way (45GB of 102GB) and just sits there. I think it's time to abandon this and move on to reformatting this drive to a suitable format which will work with my OS. I'll lose the existing data but it won't be the end of the world, just need to move on.

Thx

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
| iPhone | iPod |
www.10grand.ca
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMac G4 folder face after OS install | Can I get sound to my receiver from my Imac I7? »