New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini Newbie Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kent94577

kent94577 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Mac Mini.

Could I just connect it to my HDMI connection on my LCD TV with an HDMI cable? I tried this, but I'm not getting a picture, even though I switch over my TV to the HDMI source.

Also, I thought I could use a wireless keyboard and mouse that I had laying around, but turns out it has a PS/2 keyboard connector. So it doesn't look like I could use that. Is there an inexpensive keyboard/mouse that I could buy to use on the MacMini?
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

I'm assuming you have a new Mac mini with a built-in HDMI cable. You should be able to connect it to your HDTV using the HDMI cable. I'm not sure why you're not getting a picture. I have an older model (before the current one), so I can't really answer this question for you. I'll leave it to others who do own the current model.

As for keyboard and mouse combos, pretty much any USB keyboard or mouse will work with the Mac. Find one you like and you should be all set.

QUOTE Thanks
chrsb5

chrsb5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MPB

go into System Preferences ->Displays and check the "mirror display" box. That or another setting in the display options, perhaps the "Detect Display" button should help you along. I don't have the new model mini, so I'm not %100 sure but it's a place to start.
QUOTE Thanks
funkdabeat

funkdabeat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M

I got my 2010 Mac Mini 2 Days ago and i just plugged it right into my Plasma using HDMi and it worked right away, just make sure you adjust the overscan. also if you selected a resolution that isn't supported by the TV it wont produce picture, try use 720p or 1080i/p. Does the TV show up at all in System prefs?

Hacking - Doing what the developers couldn't.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powermac Quicksilver 733mhz | Using a Mac Mini to watch movies on HD TV - what specs? »