New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Reliable backup: Raid or Time machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

john.stone

john.stone is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've a G5 1.8 that I'm putting together to use for my music, likely Tunes with Pure Music. To that end, Ive maxed the RAM to 8gb, installed a Velociraptor 300gb disk for the system and programmes and have installed a Sonnet G5 Jive, Tempo Sata X4i card and two WD 2TB Caviar blacks for the media.

What I'd like some help with is the question of how best to set this up for backups, using the two 2TB disk's to back up each other. Should I set them up to be a mirrored raid, some other form of raid or have Time Machine do it? Do any of these set ups affect the performance greatly too?
Any advice would be a real help.

All the best, John
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Mirrored RAID is safest. Speed shouldn't be an issue with Velociraptors. Time machine really just makes sure you have a very recent backup on hand, and keeps incremental backups organized as well. It doesn't protect from hardware (disk drive) failure. You might be able to set up time machine to actually use the RAID of 2 x 2TB drives, but I'm not sure if TM will allow one to backup to internal drives. Someone can chime in on that one I'm sure. Maybe you just can't back up to the boot drive? Anyhow, if TM didn't like the internal RAID, you could try Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper. Both are pretty easy to set up incremental backups and a wide variety of other things that TM doesn't really do.
Still, my personal choice would be a RAID any day of the week.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
john.stone

Thanks, I had always though that a mirrored RAID was best for data protection but came across a post on another forum that said mirrors make poor back ups. It had me doubting what was best. The last thing I want to do is rip a whole load of CD's and lose them, hence the second disk and the question here.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

My thoughts are from experiences. RAIDs are always better. A software RAID is worse than a hardware RAID (software mirror is what you read I believe). I do not believe that an internal drive system is a "good" backup strategy. It is file storage at best. An external drive using TM or CCC is best as a backup. Your largest dilemma is how to backup up such a large internal system. You will need more RAIDed drives spinning the cost even more.

My last thought is the system you are building around. The G5 line though solid in it's days is long in the tooth. One thing missing from your list is a solid battery backup system that will give clean power to the G5 giving it the best chance of "longer" life. Certainly another identical G5 at least for parts also makes good sense.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

RAID is not a backup solution. RAID provides protection against disk failure only.

Backups protect against data loss from bad software and user mistakes. By all means, use RAID, but back up using Time Machine or something else as well.
QUOTE Thanks
john.stone

Ok, I'm a bit confused now, I'm not sure why external would be better than internal for the back up disks, can someone let me know why?
If I use each of the 'spare' disks in each pair I have as a backup, would TM be the easiest way to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Because you want your backup to be physically removed from your actual machine that you use on a regular basis. That's the point of a backup.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

When it comes to media files such as pictures and music, I actually do my own backups, copy the files over to a separate hard drive myself. Even though it takes a bit longer, I know what I'm doing with my files, and can keep them in my own files, instead of having them go into time machine. I have 1 WD caviar 500gb external 3.5" that I use for media(pics/movies/songs/etc), 1 seagate barracuda 500gb external 3.5" that I have partitioned as a backup(time machine) for my macbook pro/powermac g5. Then I have 1 hitachi 250gb external 2.5" drives for iso images of all applications, along with another identical drive for keeping ONLY pictures and videos. Then I have a 160gb seagate 2.5" external for only music.

That's my version of redundancy! It only take one hard drive failure to change the way you protect your stuff! Especially when you are forced to pay 900 dollars to pull files from a dead drive, and that was only after pleading for mercy!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro - Applecare for installing a wireless card? | USB icon removed from desktop »