New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Old G4 Keeps telling me to Restart

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MACn0ob

MACn0ob is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 400MHz 896MB RAM WOOHOO

Hi All,

Still kind of new to mac-forums, and apple in general. Linux guy trying to use mac. Current issue: Every time I go to power on I get the message "You need to restart your computer.Hold down the Power button etc etc.." I don't understand why this is happening, I mean I believe I did a hard shut down on it once when trying to get a ps2-usb cable to work but thats about it. Has anyone experienced this kinda issue before? I am using a Dell keyboard and mouse. I should note that sometimes after maybe 2 -3 restarts I can actually move the mouse but there is just a light blue background and other times that loading icon just keeps rotating and rotating...so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Is this restart message the one that comes up in a window with about 4 languages on it? If so this is a kernel panic. In many cases this is due to incompatible ram...or incompatible video card.

Give us some additional details...and we can go from there.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MACn0ob

Hello, thanks for the post. Yes that is exactly the error message I get..Literally happend out of nowhere..I'll check the Ram and Video Card .. but I haven't been inside the case or banged it around..
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Is this restart message the one that comes up in a window with about 4 languages on it? If so this is a kernel panic. In many cases this is due to incompatible ram...or incompatible video card.

- Nick
A USB hub made my Quicksilver panic...Have you repaired permissions from the installer disc.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
A USB hub made my Quicksilver panic...Have you repaired permissions from the installer disc.
That was going to be my next suggestion (unplug everything from the computer other than the keyboard & mouse) depending on what the OP found with the ram & video card.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
That was going to be my next suggestion (unplug everything from the computer other than the keyboard & mouse) depending on what the OP found with the ram & video card.

- Nick
10-4....My QS just hated that hub..it went in the trash-o-la.
QUOTE Thanks
MACn0ob

Hey thanks for the posts..I have reseated the RAM and GPU but still same issue.. This box was a trade with a friend and I do not have any discs that came with it..although I do have techtool pro v5 will that do the same thing or is the installer cd crucial for this fix?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACn0ob View Post
Hey thanks for the posts..I have reseated the RAM and GPU but still same issue.. This box was a trade with a friend and I do not have any discs that came with it..although I do have techtool pro v5 will that do the same thing or is the installer cd crucial for this fix?
Sometimes "reseating" can work...but what you need to do is remove all the ram...then install just 1 stick at a time. If the computer is stable with 1 stick, then insert a 2nd stick of ram. Then again see if it is stable. Do this until you find the "bad/incompatible" ram stick or sticks (I'm not sure how may you have, you didn't tell us).

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MACn0ob

Thanks to all who helped! Used a buddies disc from work and got this thing to work again! Thank You!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« my old emac | Early '06 iMac Troubleshooting: Caps? »