Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Specs:
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, El Capitan, 10.11.3
    Help please - How to reconnect iTunes App with iTunes Library
    Today I did what I've done many times before.

I followed precisely the "iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media Folder" so that I could get a backup copy on my EHD.

It all went fine.

But now, when I open iTunes, all the playlists & music are shown exactly as before - but click on a Tune and it says "the song...could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

As you will see from my specs, I have iMac with 256GB SSD which is called HD AND also HD2 which is my 1TB optical drive.

On the HD2, I find listed iTunes Music which seems to be intact - 172.6GB

On the SSD, I find under myname/users/Music/iTunes, more or less the same - 173.1GB

When I open the iTunes App, under Preferences/Advanced, it lists the library as /user/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media.

So I have goofed up somehow, but as far as I can see ALL my iTunes & Playlists are there, strangely on both the SSD and HD2 as shown above.

I don't know whether the SSD or the HD2 version is the "correct" one.

In any case what I'm seeking is a means of "connecting up" to my music so that it not only displays when I open the iTunes App, but plays the music as well!

Can you help me please. Any further info easily provided.

Ian

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    what songs to you want it to link to , HD2 or the SSD?

I would rename the library in /user/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. to iTunes Library back-up

When you next fire up iTunes it will ask you to find the library file or create a new one. Crete a new blank library then drag the folder on which ever drive you want to be the source of your music into iTunes to create a fresh library file
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Specs:
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, El Capitan, 10.11.3
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    what songs to you want it to link to , HD2 or the SSD?

I would rename the library in /user/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. to iTunes Library back-up

When you next fire up iTunes it will ask you to find the library file or create a new one. Crete a new blank library then drag the folder on which ever drive you want to be the source of your music into iTunes to create a fresh library file
    Dear louishen

Not for the first time you have come to my aid. I decided that the HD2 was the "original" because when I bought the iMac, I transferred all the libraries like iTunes, iPhoto & Aperture to HD2.

I therefore chose HD2, did what you said, messed about a bit and got there. I now have a working iTunes.

Thank you very much.

I think that the Apple advice which I followed is intended for single HD not SSD and HD. GOK!

Ian

Thread Information