New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Frozen Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kitrh

Kitrh is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20"iMac, 2.16ghz dual core

My desktop has just frozen. Whilst I can move the mouse I cannot launch any programmes. The only thing that comes on is Skype which loads automatically every time I switch on or off. I cannot move anything on the desktop even though the cursor moves. I have tried switching on and off several times

Help please!

Chris
iMac 20"
Switched April 2007
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitrh View Post
My desktop has just frozen. Whilst I can move the mouse I cannot launch any programmes. The only thing that comes on is Skype which loads automatically every time I switch on or off. I cannot move anything on the desktop even though the cursor moves. I have tried switching on and off several times

Help please!
Can you give us any additional info...such as:

- does any sort of warning window come up on the screen?
- did you upgrade anything recently?
- have you tried booting from a Mac OS install disk?
- have you tried doing the 3-key combination (command + option + escape)...this allows you to force quit programs that may be causing an issue

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Kitrh

Nick,
No warning at all
No upgrades (been working fine all day)
Tried Command Option Escape and comes up with dialogue box but clicking mouse does nothing
I can move the mouse but when I click nothing happens whereas when I used the up/down keys on the dialogue box I could select Skype or Finder and by pressing return got Skype to shut down. And again using the arrow keys I can move between items on the desktop

I have a Leopard install disk but not sure what you mean by booting it?

Thanks

Chris

Chris
iMac 20"
Switched April 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Kitrh

Well I have no idea what caused this but just taken apart the Mouse, removed batteries etc and it is now working! The weird thing was is that the cursor WAS moving - it was just nothing happened when you clicked it. Bizarre!

Chris
iMac 20"
Switched April 2007
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tried Command Option Escape and comes up with dialogue box but clicking mouse does nothing
What programs are listed in the box when you do the 3-key combination...is it just Skype & Finder?

Quote:
I can move the mouse but when I click nothing happens whereas when I used the up/down keys on the dialogue box I could select Skype or Finder and by pressing return got Skype to shut down.
Yes..this is what I would have suggested. You could try quitting the Finder as well...it will then relaunch.

Quote:
have a Leopard install disk but not sure what you mean by booting it?
- insert your leopard disk
- restart the computer
- immediately press the "C" key (this will tell the computer to boot from the leopard disk

After the computer boots:

- go to the menu bar
- open Disk Utility
- select your hard drive from the list on the left
- click on the "Verify Disk" button in the window
- if that goes ok...then click on the "Repair Permissions" button

Post back with your results,

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Well I have no idea what caused this but just taken apart the Mouse, removed batteries etc and it is now working! The weird thing was is that the cursor WAS moving - it was just nothing happened when you clicked it. Bizarre!
So are you telling me that you're using a wireless mouse...and the problem is/was dead or weak batteries???...and now everything is fine?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird Display Problem after RAM upgrade | Mac Pro won't restart, and sometimes won't boot up »