New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac G5 can the logic board be repaired?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jayImac11

jayImac11 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone

My Imac G5 is not producing any audio...
Basically the 3.5mm audio socket has been damaged and the imac things speakers are connected when they are not and i can not connect speakers as the socket is damaged.

I have spent time on the phone to Apple and taken it in to an apple store, where they told me it would need a completely new logic board which with labour would come to over 600...!!!!

Does anyone know if you can just replace the audio socket on the logic board?
Is it a case of just some soldering? Can i replace it with any old audio socket?
Or do i need a new logic board?

J
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The reason Apple quoted you the price they did is because the audio socket is surface mounted to the logic board. Removing and replacing it requires special de-soldering and soldering equipment which generally is only available at a repair depot. Doing the job yourself would likely result in a damaged logic board (which would have to be replaced anyway).

So the answer is yes, you need a new logic board.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Respectfully disagreeing with chscag, a competent electronics technician at your nearest radio/tv shop could repair the soldered audio connection within minutes. Even bearing in mind you're in the UK, where labour prices are high, the job could be done for maybe 1/6 of the price Apple has quoted.

You will however need to remove the logic board from the iMac yourself, and to supply the requisite parts, so do your homework as to what's required in both cases.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Have to disagree with your disagreement. Removing surface mounted components from a multi-layer board is not a job that can be done in minutes. Nor is the average repair shop equipped to do it correctly. Not saying that it can't be done, just that it's not a simple de-solder, soldering bit of work.

Apple would not recommend changing out the entire logic board if it were a matter of easily removing the audio jack and replacing it. However, the OP probably doesn't have much choice and certainly nothing to lose by taking it to a local repair shop. With that, I agree with you.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

'Fair do', as the English would say. Hot air soldering and desoldering is all the rage, and I believe it's used extensively on circuit boards that have been assembled on mass production lines by conventional arc soldering.

Bear in mind that:
1. Apple will, unfortunately, always suggest replacement of a complete engine (which is what the logic board is) for the failure of a single component, and
2. we in NZ and those in the UK are still accustomed to 'fixit' technology. Replacing the whole horse for the want of a shoe nail is not part of our psyche.

Hugh

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If it's the iMac G5 with the optical Digital/Analog combined Jack like mine, It might be even harder to replace it if you want the Optical output also to work which I sure would.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
2. we in NZ and those in the UK are still accustomed to 'fixit' technology. Replacing the whole horse for the want of a shoe nail is not part of our psyche.
I agree 100% with what you're saying. I'm a DIY sort of guy...and I certainly would rather replace a worn out or broken part rather than replace the whole thing.

I think that it's sort of terrible that someone is charged $700 for a new logic board...when it might be possible to replace a damaged component for a lot less $$$.

But I do understand that computer logic boards these days are very very very complex...the components are very very small...and it's maybe next to impossible to remove a single component with a home soldering iron without damaging neighboring components.

I guess since the size of the video, audio, and networking ports have remained relatively large (since the things we plug into them need to be large enough for human hands to handle)...these components may still be replaceable by a "Do-It-Yourselfer" persons. Personally I haven't tried to replace an audio port on a computer logic board...but it would (at first glance) seem like something that would be much more doable than say trying to replace an individual logic board component like a soldered on cpu or gpu.

I sort of understand why Apple replaces the whole logic board. Probably because of fast turn around, maximize customer service, and probably 95% or more of logic board components are not replaceable by human hands (even Apple "Genius" human hands)!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
John T

John T will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21.5in iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayImac11 View Post
I have spent time on the phone to Apple and taken it in to an apple store, where they told me it would need a completely new logic board which with labour would come to over 600...!!!!
A few months ago I had a new logic board fitted to my iMac G5 by an Apple Approved Service Centre. From memory, they charged c.250. This included an Apple 90 day warranty. It may be worth your while to have a look on the Apple site for your nearest Repair Centre.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 5,1 and a SATA II internal hard drive | How to extract MAC harddrive data on to pc ? »