New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

5770 in Mac Pro 3.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ren

Ren is on a distinguished road

Hello.

I'm new to Macs in general and am having a bit of trouble. I purchased a Mac Pro and decided to upgrade the graphics card on it. Did a quick google search and found people reporting that ATI's 5770 worked with Mac Pros. I ordered it, installed it, and the machine booted right up. The problem I'm having is with the drivers. I'm not sure where to acquire the right driver for my new video card. The box I received from Apple didn't include any software and ATI's site didn't have anything.

I've been trying to figure it out on my own but basically ran into a dead end. I would like to get the most out of my new graphics card and hope that I'm not stuck =/. If more info about my hardware is needed, please let me know and I will try to provide it as best as I can.

Any help appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Assuming you purchased the upgrade kit direct from Apple (LINK) it should include everything you need. And from some searching it seems that others have installed this particular card in their Mac Pro machines without any difficulty.

I would say if you're having problems with drivers (you didn't mention what kind of problems) that you need to contact Apple support and ask.
QUOTE Thanks
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Assuming you purchased the upgrade kit direct from Apple (LINK) it should include everything you need. And from some searching it seems that others have installed this particular card in their Mac Pro machines without any difficulty.

I would say if you're having problems with drivers (you didn't mention what kind of problems) that you need to contact Apple support and ask.
The reason why I think I'm having driver issues is because I downloaded and ran OpenGL Extension Viewer and ran some of the rendering tests. Most of the tests were sluggish and ran at about 10-15 FPS. Also, when I try to change my display resolution I only have one option available, 1920x1080. Oh, and only one of the screen savers works, the rest simply show a black screen.

Does Apple offer support for products that they don't officially have listed as working with a particular model? I don't think the particular card I purchased is "officially" supported for my model Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Lot of talk about this card's lack of drivers and inability to work with the Mac Pro.

Apple - Support - Discussions - ATI 2600 with 5770 in Mac Pro ...

Apple reporting it works with the Mac Pro would be better advise alas!
QUOTE Thanks
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Lot of talk about this card's lack of drivers and inability to work with the Mac Pro.

Apple - Support - Discussions - ATI 2600 with 5770 in Mac Pro ...

Apple reporting it works with the Mac Pro would be better advise alas!
Thanks for the link, but it seems like those people are having issues with running a 5770 alongside another video card. I'm just trying to get my single 5770 running at it's full potential.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
Does Apple offer support for products that they don't officially have listed as working with a particular model? I don't think the particular card I purchased is "officially" supported for my model Mac Pro.
Maybe I wrongly assumed you had a new Mac Pro... which model do you have because according to the link I provided you it says:

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

Isn't that your model Mac Pro? If it is, you should certainly be able to get support from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Mac Pro 3.1 is a January 2008/2009 model and not the mid 2010 and will therefore not be compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
Ren

Quote:
Mac Pro 3.1 is a January 2008/2009 model and not the mid 2010 and will therefore not be compatible.
Thank you for posting the model. I wasn't home and wasn't sure.

Does this mean that I'm simply out of luck? I was searching online while at work and stumbled upong netkas.org. It seems that people have had success but maybe I'm missing something.

New Apple 5770 works in 1st Gens !!!! For sure this time !!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Who knows and of course assuming you are not using a PC version of the card as they will not work and flashing to work on a Mac Pro is very much a 50/50 proposition.
QUOTE Thanks
Ren

Quote:
Who knows and of course assuming you are not using a PC version of the card as they will not work and flashing to work on a Mac Pro is very much a 50/50 proposition.
Not a PC version, I ordered direct from Apple. I just noticed that there's a software update (10.6.4), maybe that'll fix it. Currently downloading with my fingers crossed.
QUOTE Thanks
Ren

Finally got it working properly. I had to update to 10.6.4 then install Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0, here's the link:

Snow Leopard Graphics Update

Thanks to those who tried to help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Great to hear. I was also going to mention that I was fairly sure Apple would try to help even though your model Mac Pro was not mentioned. They're usually real good about that. Anyway, have fun and visit us often.
QUOTE Thanks
Bruhopod

Bruhopod is on a distinguished road

So regular 5770 for Mac will work in Mac Pro 3.1 (it says it works only in 2010 models)? My 2600 seems to be dead (Mac Pro is booting up but monitors don't show anything) and I'm looking for a replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruhopod View Post
So regular 5770 for Mac will work in Mac Pro 3.1 (it says it works only in 2010 models)? My 2600 seems to be dead (Mac Pro is booting up but monitors don't show anything) and I'm looking for a replacement.
If by regular you mean off-the-shelf, then no, it won't work. My 5770 was purchased directly from Apple, it was just not listed as compatible for my particular model Mac Pro.

Hope that helps a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisDTC

ChrisDTC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
If by regular you mean off-the-shelf, then no, it won't work. My 5770 was purchased directly from Apple, it was just not listed as compatible for my particular model Mac Pro.

Hope that helps a bit.
When you purchased the 5770 from Apple did it include the additional power cable? If it did not where did you get yours? Im looking to upgrade my 3,1 Pro as well but I currently do not have the power cable to use with the 5770. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS mouse control with Logitech Harmony | 2011 Mac mini questions. »