New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 No Video after 15mins of Owenership HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MACn0ob

MACn0ob is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 400MHz 896MB RAM WOOHOO

Hello ALL

I am new to the mac forums and the mac os. Long time linux user so I am enjoying apples os so far. Here is my dilemma I am currently faced with.I traded a pc for an old G4 tower 400MHzcpu, had it running to verify functionality, yada yada,seemed to be working just fine. Drove 5mins home, hookedup to my acer 24" cinema display, NO video..Ok so I tried to turn it off various troubleshooting techniques, nothing. I then decsided to remove some RAM, still no video, tried another monitor, nothing, another video card, nothing. Unit boots up, starup noise sounds, but NO video. I don't understand, it was just running and 15mins later no video. I did notice that the video card was a little loose upon connecting, could this of possibly shorted the video out? ..also to note that I am not booting with a keyboard or mouse (not that it should matter) Also there is a bright red light on rite by the RAM slots.

I am completely bedazzled rite now. Calling all Mac Users, help !
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Just a note, PC video cards will not work on a Mac unless they have been flashed with Mac compatible firmware. So you need to put the Video Card that came with the G4 back in. It could need a PRAM reset but you need a keyboard for that.
QUOTE Thanks
MACn0ob

Hi, I actually put the original video card back in and still same issue..you think the card mite be bad? There $9 on eBay. How exactly do I do a pram reset?I connected my dell usb keyboard and none of its light lit up..=/
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACn0ob View Post
Here is my dilemma I am currently faced with.I traded a pc for an old G4 tower 400MHzcpu, had it running to verify functionality, yada yada,seemed to be working just fine. Drove 5mins home, hookedup to my acer 24" cinema display, NO video...
The only thing I can think of at the moment (since you said that everything worked fine before taking it home)...is the monitor. When this Macintosh/video card was designed...there were no 24" monitors...so I'm sure that if your 24" monitors native resolution is 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200...this Mac cannot support that resolution...but I'm sure this Mac can support other resolutions on this monitor.

Usually plugging a monitor into a Mac (even an older Mac) is not a problem...but it might be in this case. Do you have a smaller LCD or even CRT monitor that you can use to initially setup the computer? Like a 17" or 19" monitor.

By the way...do you remember what sort of monitor was attached to the computer when you tested it before taking it home?

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MACn0ob

Hey, yea I plugged it into my dell 17'' at home and still nothing. When it was originally working rite before taking it home, it was plugged into a 19/20'' acer monitor..I am totally lost with this, was so looking forward to setting up a Darwin streaming server =(
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACn0ob View Post
Hey, yea I plugged it into my dell 17'' at home and still nothing. When it was originally working rite before taking it home, it was plugged into a 19/20'' acer monitor..I am totally lost with this, was so looking forward to setting up a Darwin streaming server =(
How do you explain that this computer was working before you took it home...and then when you got home (5 minutes away as you mentioned) it didn't work? Anything "weird" happen on the way home...or putting the computer into or taking the computer out of the car? Like any bumping or dropping?

The only thing I can suggest is...pull the video card & ram out of the computer...and then reseat/reinstall them...and see if this helps.

Also make sure all plugs & wires inside the computer are well seated (including the hard drive cables & power)...maybe something pulled loose or even fell out all together.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MACn0ob

WOOHOO! It works yay! I double checked all my connections again, the IDE cable for the hdd was like half a centimeter from being completely inserted. I can't believe thats what was preventing me from seeing anything. So theres no bios in macs?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Open Firmware in Older Pre Intel Macs. One cable not plugged in all the way can do it. I have had that on PC hardware except the screen usually came up but bios was locked in a few cases and I could not enter it due to an IDE cable.

The Intel Macs use EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface). You will be seeing that replace the Bios in PC's down the line. The BIos really needs to be done away with.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

No BIOS. Remember this is a pretty old Mac, probably using a Rage 128Pro graphics card with 16/32MBV memory so do not expect too much, particularly when viewing videos etc.about ten years or older.

You can increase memory to 2GB, depending on the model, but make sure you get Mac compatible low density PC100 modules. Be aware PC's and PC shops use and sell high density modules only which will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post

The Intel Macs use EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface). You will be seeing that replace the Bios in PC's down the line. The BIos really needs to be done away with.
Very interesting to hear! Since I'm not a "Windows" person...sometimes it's hard to know if Mac's are doing something:

- more advanced
- less advanced
- or just different

...from "Windows" computers.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

This is how guys mess up there Macs buy nuking the HD etc. You lose the firmware. Anytime a Mac acts up you first check out the insides.. that all is connected and seated.Then move on to the HD and then software issues. There are some newer firmware updates for that machine. Good Luck to Ya.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Very interesting to hear! Since I'm not a "Windows" person...sometimes it's hard to know if Mac's are doing something:
Nick:

For years, Intel has been trying to convince the PC world to do away with the BIOS and move on to EFI. Lots of resistance from the big boys... Dell, Sony, HP, and so on. Microsoft was all for it but until the big boys buy into it, it's not going to happen. So yes, Macs are more advanced.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Nick:

For years, Intel has been trying to convince the PC world to do away with the BIOS and move on to EFI. Lots of resistance from the big boys... Dell, Sony, HP, and so on. Microsoft was all for it but until the big boys buy into it, it's not going to happen. So yes, Macs are more advanced.
Hey...thanks for the info. I do have a few operating Windows computers floating around the house (and use them from time to time)...but honestly I'm mostly lost when I try to figure out a problem.

I did fix an older Dell desktop that was given to me...I had to get into the BIOS when it wouldn't boot properly...which was sort of interesting to have that sort of low-level control. I ended up getting it running doing the "Magic Fix"...are you familiar with that one?

Thanks again,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

What some are wondering is if when EFI does surface on PC (Which I have read very recently on Tech sites that it's coming very soon) is if they will put a front end on the EFI like the current Bios has now or have it like Apple that you can boot into the firmware?

I really love EFI but also love the interface on a good motherboard's bios. Lots of control.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Imac upgrade? | Can't start my iMac 27' »