Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
    G5 iMac a weird problem
    My G5 iMac has started playing up recently.
    The fans are making noise that is louder than a G3 iMac and they sound as if they would when using about half the processor power.
    I don't think it's the same problem that everyone is talking about with the mid plane assembly (but i could be wrong).

It's almost as if the computer doesn't realise that it's not processing anything and insists on having the fans on.

I have tried repairing permissions, Mac Janitor, Tech Tool Pro and Internet Cleanup and nothing seems to work.

The weird thing is that sometimes for 5 minutes or so it will be completely silent, but then the fans start.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

badmojo
    I have an iMac G5 and the same thing happens to me, especially when fast-scrolling through a graphic intensive website. What apps are you running when this happens?

Specs:
    iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by badmojo
    I have an iMac G5 and the same thing happens to me, especially when fast-scrolling through a graphic intensive website. What apps are you running when this happens?

None !!!!

badmojo
    Fire up activity monitor (/applications/utilities). Go to the "window" menu item and check CPU usage, and Activity monitor. A/v shows you what apps are running.

Specs:
    iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
    well i did read an article that the G5 processers were known to create a ton of heat.. but since your using no program.. i dont see whats wrong, unless your fans are having a party!

Specs:
    ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
    I'd say PARTY!

I've got an ibook and its silent like ummmm silent..... I'll compare peoples G5's I have a few friends who have G5 iMacs.

Specs:
    iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
    Well I took a look in Activity Monitor and I can't see anything that would cause it to do this.

At present just running Safari & Activity Monitor.

It also says Applespell, Button Manager, iCal alarm scheduler, Finder, SystemUIServer, Dock, pbs, login window, ATSServer & WindowServer
    under "My Processes"

In the lower portion of the window it says
    % User 5.00
    % System 3.00
    % Nice 0.00
    % Idle 95.00

It's all chinese to me !

badmojo
    How much memory is the Window Server using? I don't have that on my iMAc.

Specs:
    iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
    How much memory is the Window Server using? I don't have that on my iMAc.

It says 24.12 MB on Real memory & 185.35 MB on Virtual Memory

badmojo
    I would try a Repair Permissions and a reboot. See if the problem keeps happening.

disillusioned
    Fan speed
    The only time my fan starts making a lot of noise is when it has locked up or crashed which unfortunately happens frequently. Three weeks ago I purchased an iMac G5 and I'm not a happy camper. It crashes whether I'm surfing the net or working in Photoshop. Does anyone have any ideas why it keeps crashing?
    The iMac came with 10.3 and I have upgraded to 10.4.2, I've run Disk Warrior and the apple hardware test and everything seems to be okay. I've gone so far as to re-initialize the drive and re-load everything. The only software I've installed is Photoshop CS and MS Office.
    I have been a Mac fan since 1987 beginning with an SE, followed by a VX, Power Computing 603 and the G4 AGP so I'm no stranger to working on a Mac.
    If anyone has any ideas please post them. Thanks.

Specs:
    iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
    I would try a Repair Permissions and a reboot. See if the problem keeps happening.

I have already done all of those things and run Disk Warrior and Tech Tool Pro and Cocktail and Internet Cleanup and even done a complete system install TWICE and nothing solves the problem!

Specs:
    20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
    What screen size do you have. Mine flares up and doesn't stop at random intervals and also when: I boot from a disc, target mode it, but it will also do it in sleep, when its running nothing. I am very, very dissapointed. It was in apple's repair shop for 2 months, and they 'couldn't' find anything wrong with it. I am really pissed off now!
    Thanks
    Alex

Specs:
    iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmaccoll
    What screen size do you have. Mine flares up and doesn't stop at random intervals and also when: I boot from a disc, target mode it, but it will also do it in sleep, when its running nothing. I am very, very dissapointed. It was in apple's repair shop for 2 months, and they 'couldn't' find anything wrong with it. I am really pissed off now!
    Thanks
    Alex

I have a 17" G5 iMac.

badmojo
    I'm out of ideas, here. If it's still under the 1 yr warranty, get the APP. I'm getting the feeling that this iMac G5 is not one of Apple's best iMacs.

Thread Information