got a question about my mac pro 2009 nehalem
    sorry for the title spelling...

I got a question. I got 4,1 mac pro quad pro. How well does this machine perform when it comes to video rendering or adobe stuff? I know dual processor is better at rendering..but give me some opinion on quad pro. it's 2.66 ghz.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Since you have the machine, why not run some sort of a benchmark tool or time some video rendering and compare it to others??

Regards

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    And I'd be interested to hear where you get the info that a dual core would be better for rendering than a quad core.

Whether any particular app runs better in this case depends on whether that app has been optimized to run on multiple cores. If it has not been optimized, then in most cases the app would run faster on the faster CPU regardless of the number of cores. Historically, video rendering apps are typically some of the first apps optimized for multi-core use.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Since you have the machine, why not run some sort of a benchmark tool or time some video rendering and compare it to others??

Regards
    benchmark tool? like what? help a newbie here.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Try here.

You can put in three different machines and then compare Geekbench scores.
    Try putting in the iMac 3.06Ghz dual core
    Also the iMac i5 2.8Ghz quad core
    And put in your Mac Pro.
    Believe you'll find your Mac Pro posts a score approx double that of the i5 quad core.

Then check here - a reprint of some Anandtech test results (since I just couldn't find it at Anand's on a quick search).
    Compare the times between the 2.66 quad and the 3.33Ghz dual core.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    And I'd be interested to hear where you get the info that a dual core would be better for rendering than a quad core.

Whether any particular app runs better in this case depends on whether that app has been optimized to run on multiple cores. If it has not been optimized, then in most cases the app would run faster on the faster CPU regardless of the number of cores. Historically, video rendering apps are typically some of the first apps optimized for multi-core use.
    I searched through various forum sties through google.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
    I searched through various forum sties through google.
    Everything you read on the internet is not fact...and when you do find information...always carefully consider the source of the info.

There are lots of computer users out that still keep calling the ram in their computers "storage"...and call hard drive space "memory"...both of which are bad terminology.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Mactracker is a great little utility that show GeekBench 2 speed marks for all Macs. Checking out the various models, the 3.06GHz iMac records a score of 4297, the 3.33GHz 2009 iMac records a score of 4702, and your MacPro comes in at 8644 so that tells you which is the fastest by a long, long margin.

http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Everything you read on the internet is not fact...and when you do find information...always carefully consider the source of the info.

There are lots of computer users out that still keep calling the ram in their computers "storage"...and call hard drive space "memory"...both of which are bad terminology.

- Nick
    Lol. yeah. I shouldn't believe those sites.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Mactracker is a great little utility that show GeekBench 2 speed marks for all Macs. Checking out the various models, the 3.06GHz iMac records a score of 4297, the 3.33GHz 2009 iMac records a score of 4702, and your MacPro comes in at 8644 so that tells you which is the fastest by a long, long margin.

Mactracker
    i guess my mac sucks.

Thread Information