New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

got a question about my mac pro 2009 nehalem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

koban4max

koban4max can only hope to improve

sorry for the title spelling...

I got a question. I got 4,1 mac pro quad pro. How well does this machine perform when it comes to video rendering or adobe stuff? I know dual processor is better at rendering..but give me some opinion on quad pro. it's 2.66 ghz.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Since you have the machine, why not run some sort of a benchmark tool or time some video rendering and compare it to others??

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And I'd be interested to hear where you get the info that a dual core would be better for rendering than a quad core.

Whether any particular app runs better in this case depends on whether that app has been optimized to run on multiple cores. If it has not been optimized, then in most cases the app would run faster on the faster CPU regardless of the number of cores. Historically, video rendering apps are typically some of the first apps optimized for multi-core use.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
koban4max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Since you have the machine, why not run some sort of a benchmark tool or time some video rendering and compare it to others??

Regards
benchmark tool? like what? help a newbie here.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try here.

You can put in three different machines and then compare Geekbench scores.
Try putting in the iMac 3.06Ghz dual core
Also the iMac i5 2.8Ghz quad core
And put in your Mac Pro.
Believe you'll find your Mac Pro posts a score approx double that of the i5 quad core.

Then check here - a reprint of some Anandtech test results (since I just couldn't find it at Anand's on a quick search).
Compare the times between the 2.66 quad and the 3.33Ghz dual core.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
koban4max

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
And I'd be interested to hear where you get the info that a dual core would be better for rendering than a quad core.

Whether any particular app runs better in this case depends on whether that app has been optimized to run on multiple cores. If it has not been optimized, then in most cases the app would run faster on the faster CPU regardless of the number of cores. Historically, video rendering apps are typically some of the first apps optimized for multi-core use.
I searched through various forum sties through google.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
I searched through various forum sties through google.
Everything you read on the internet is not fact...and when you do find information...always carefully consider the source of the info.

There are lots of computer users out that still keep calling the ram in their computers "storage"...and call hard drive space "memory"...both of which are bad terminology.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Mactracker is a great little utility that show GeekBench 2 speed marks for all Macs. Checking out the various models, the 3.06GHz iMac records a score of 4297, the 3.33GHz 2009 iMac records a score of 4702, and your MacPro comes in at 8644 so that tells you which is the fastest by a long, long margin.

http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/
QUOTE Thanks
koban4max

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Everything you read on the internet is not fact...and when you do find information...always carefully consider the source of the info.

There are lots of computer users out that still keep calling the ram in their computers "storage"...and call hard drive space "memory"...both of which are bad terminology.

- Nick
Lol. yeah. I shouldn't believe those sites.
QUOTE Thanks
koban4max

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Mactracker is a great little utility that show GeekBench 2 speed marks for all Macs. Checking out the various models, the 3.06GHz iMac records a score of 4297, the 3.33GHz 2009 iMac records a score of 4702, and your MacPro comes in at 8644 so that tells you which is the fastest by a long, long margin.

Mactracker
i guess my mac sucks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want 27" iMac to serve as dual display to Lenovo 410 | Imac DV HDD Power cable »