New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

F1-F9 and RIGHT SHIFT not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimmyrare

jimmyrare is on a distinguished road

A while ago F1-F9 and RIGHT SHIFT stopped responding.
I've looked around for a solution, but all threads about it ends with no solution.

And, yes, I have "use f1 f2 keys as standard function keys" unchecked!

Fwiw F10-F12 for volume/mute still works...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Which machine? Model, year, and tell us what version of OS X you're using.
Assuming you have a desktop Mac, what kind of keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
jimmyrare

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Which machine? Model, year, and tell us what version of OS X you're using.
Assuming you have a desktop Mac, what kind of keyboard?
iMac, Intel Core i3, bought it a month ago.
Mac OS X 10.6.4
The keyboard is the one I got with it, AppleWirelessKeyboard
QUOTE Thanks
jimmyrare

bump to get some help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Since you bought the machine a month ago, it's still under warranty. Make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and have them look at it. You could have a defective keyboard, which if it is, they'll give you a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quick question, Did any liquid spill/Splash on the keyboard? Do you have another keyboard you can try like a USB keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
jimmyrare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Quick question, Did any liquid spill/Splash on the keyboard? Do you have another keyboard you can try like a USB keyboard?
Nothing spilled.

Same problem with other keyboards.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That no longer sounds like a hardware problem if you've tried other keyboards and the same thing occurs. What software have you installed lately? Have you made any modifications to the system in any way? And, as you were advised in the first replies, the machine is under warranty. If you can't resolve it, you might want to let Apple look at it.
QUOTE Thanks
jimmyrare

The only software I can think of that may cause a conflict is VMWare Fusion which I use to run Windows 7
QUOTE Thanks
mac9

mac9 is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue. I think it must be software related as I'm using a macbook and not an iMac with keyboard.

Anybody got a solution?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

First of all, install the 10.6.6 update if you haven't yet - it's good housekeeping.
Next: have you tried checking and unchecking that box?
QUOTE Thanks
mac9

Yes I've tried ticking the box - didnt work.

I've tried the "press f2 & f3 randomly whilst booting" - didn't work.

I've tried resetting PRAM (option-cmd-p-r and hold down whilst booting and let it chime a few times) - didn't work.

Not tried 10.6.6 update as I'm only 10.5.8 and that would require me to buy Snow Leopard. Was hoping for a free fix!

It used to work when I got the Macbook (1997 white one). I was on 10.4 at the time and suddenly f1 to f9 plus right shift stopped working.

10.5 upgrade made no difference so I'm reluctant to buy 10.6 on the chance it will fix it.

There's many forum entries online about this but no good answers.

Thanks for your reply though.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
Yes I've tried ticking the box - didnt work.

I've tried the "press f2 & f3 randomly whilst booting" - didn't work.

I've tried resetting PRAM (option-cmd-p-r and hold down whilst booting and let it chime a few times) - didn't work.

Not tried 10.6.6 update as I'm only 10.5.8 and that would require me to buy Snow Leopard. Was hoping for a free fix!

It used to work when I got the Macbook (1997 white one). I was on 10.4 at the time and suddenly f1 to f9 plus right shift stopped working.

10.5 upgrade made no difference so I'm reluctant to buy 10.6 on the chance it will fix it.

There's many forum entries online about this but no good answers.

Thanks for your reply though.
Sorry, I meant the other guy who said he was on 10.6.4.
10.5.8 should of course work too. Have you tried the usual troubleshooting stuff (repair permissions, delete plist file etc)?
QUOTE Thanks
mac9

I've just tried repairing permissions - made no difference.

When you say delete plist file - which one? I tried the keyboard plist file and that didn't do it.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac DVD stuck - desperate help needed! | Imac Depreciation? »