New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac and AppleCare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Geeker0358

Geeker0358 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am going to buy my first iMac and I have been reading a lot of websites about the AppleCare. It seems I can get it for $135 from Amazon.com and it will extend my warranty for 3-years with onsite service that covers parts and labor charges.

I work in IT so I've never gotten a warranty for any PC as I've never needed one. But I don't know anything about Macs as I've never had one before. A lot of the warranty discussions I've seen state that you should get the AppleCare if you have a laptop, but not if you have a Desktop.

As far as PCs go I can relate to that because a laptop PC is a lot harder to repair then a Desktop PC. So I assume the same must be true for Macs. However, my iMac although it's a desktop, doesn't look like it's going to be very easy to repair. I mean I can't even replace the hard drive without ripping the entire computer apart and causing who knows what kind of damage to the machine.

I've seen youtube videos on how to replace a hard drive in an iMac and it appears there is just too much that can go wrong. I also don't know if I feel safe popping off the huge 21.5'' screen.

As I said, never used a Mac of any kind before so I'm not sure where to go on this. The AppleCare seems to be worth the price in my mind, but I've heard it's a complete waste of money for Desktops and I can't figure out why.

I know that a desktop probably wont take as much damage as a laptop so it's less likely to break, but replacing the parts in a iMac doesn't look like a pleasing job either. In a PC I could do it, in a Mac... idk.

Edit:
One other thing I was having a problem understanding is about the onsite service. Most reviews I read told me to wait until about 10 months after I purchsed the iMac to purchase the AppleCare just to put off the cost until a little later. But if I do that does the standard warranty come with onesite service if my computer breaks before I purchase the AppleCare warranty, and even if I decided to purchse AppleCare during my standard warranty period does that allow me to get onsite service during my first year of the warranty.

Some of these I just didn't find very clear.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I'm not to sure about the "onsite repair for desktops", since I've always "carry-in" my systems.
But I'm sure you could give apple a call and find out more about that.

But regardless for the 135-169, it's worth the peace and mind.
The iMac is compact and no where near as easy to repair as your standard desktop.

If you can make the purchase right away, then why not. But if you want to save a few bucks then a lot of people wait a few months down the road to make the purchase.

OEM warranty.
1 year limited warranty
90days phone support

Apple Care Plan
3 year limited warranty (from the computers purchase date)
3 year phone support (from the computers purchase date)

I just got my MBP a couple months ago, but I'm waiting till around the 10 month mark to buy the apple care for it because it's 350.00. But I did how ever get it right away for the iMac since it was much more affordable.

QUOTE Thanks
Geeker0358

Thanks,

I'll try to call Apple again. I called them last night but it was a 35 min. hold time and I didn't want to wait that long. Maybe they are a little slower now, this earling in the morning.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Ouch, that's a bit long. You could also try calling your nearest apple store. They might know a bit more about it.

I even tried searching around for more information but really all i came up with was. "Onsite repair: Request that a technician come to your work site, for desktop computers".

I'm not sure if the iMac qualities for that, or if there is a charge.

Let us know what you find out.

QUOTE Thanks
Geeker0358

From what I found out onsite repair is only avalible for desktop computers, laptop computers have to be taken in to an Apple Store.

But my problem is, if I buy that AppleCare warranty do I get onsite service for the entire 3 years, or does the onsite service only start with years 2 and 3 because those are the years covered by the AppleCare warranty.

If by signing up for AppleCare you get onsite service right from the start, it might be worth spending the extra money right away, instead of wating until 10 months later.

You get onsite service if there is a apple store within 50 miles of your house. I live 45 miles from the nearest apple store, and through the traffic around here it will take me probably 1.5 hours to get there. So it would be REALLY nice, if they would come to my house.

That is a really good warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I live in the UK so my advice is based on my experience here.

AppleCare has been absolutely vital for me. I've added it to every single Apple product. I have 2 iMacs, an iPod and an iPhone 4.

The telephone service, here at any rate, has been swift and they won't leave you till the problem's fixed. For us, if they can't fix it on the phone, they come & take it away, deliver it back fixed (or brand new if they can't) - all free. Well, as part of what you pay for AppleCare.

And they are happy dealing with idiots like me who needs his hand held a lot. No problem too small.

Lastly, I live 2 hours away from the nearest Apple Store.

In my view, AppleCare is essential.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Geeker0358

I called Apple a little bit ago but the lady that answered didn't speak English very well at all, and she didn't understand what I was asking.

I told her I haven't purchased the iMac yet and she kept asking me for my serial number.

I'll try calling back again later today and see if I can speak to someone else.
QUOTE Thanks
BenGlasgow

BenGlasgow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i7 2.93ghz iMac

In the UK I got such a good deal on the Apple Care warranty it was a no brainer.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

On site service for Apple computers may be available through some authorized Apple service centers. You need to check with those providers individually, however, to see if there is an additional charge as I don't believe that is covered under normal Apple care.

For example: Best Buy is an authorized seller and service center for Apple products. They do sell a separate extended warranty (different from Apple care) that covers in home service for certain products.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeker0358 View Post

But my problem is, if I buy that AppleCare warranty do I get onsite service for the entire 3 years, or does the onsite service only start with years 2 and 3 because those are the years covered by the AppleCare warranty.
No, that's not your problem. It's not anyone's. AppleCare is a warranty extension. You can wait for 364 days (not recommended) to purchase it, and then you'll have it for another 731 days.* Or, you can purchase it right away. You're covered for three years if you buy it, one year if you don't.

*Alright, alright; unless there's a leap year in there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New IMAC - No firewire 400. How do i upload footage from my JVC? | New iMac i7 »