New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

blast from the past (depressingly)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonny_j22

jonny_j22 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, This is my first post on mac forums, I tend to just search for answers, but not being able to find one for this has lead me to believe it may not be possible, but hope it's just out of date, anyway thank you in advance for your help!.

I have just bought an old eMac (1ghz, 2x512 RAM, 40GB HDD - probably before april 2004) for a tenner to use as a second, non facebook/youtube enabled machine for work.

It runs beautifully, if a litte slow but, what can you argue for a tenner and 6 years old. Any way I have a 160GB SATA laptop HDD left over from the sale of said laptop and was wondering about the possibility of internalising it? The work doesn't worry me, just wondering if it is possible - I read that these only recognise 120GB, and are ATA drives? I'm quite good with upgrades and the like but 2004 was when I got my first Imac, second hand and bright orange, so thought I'd just check on this one!

Obviously I'm not going to spend 40 on a 10 machine, so if it isn't possible i'll just firewire the drive as external!

Thanks in advance for your help
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Firewire the drive, the eMac can use 120 gig plus hard drives but only ATA

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_j22 View Post
Any way I have a 160GB SATA laptop HDD left over from the sale of said laptop and was wondering about the possibility of internalising it?
That laptop hard drive is 2.5"...eMac's use 3.5" drives.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_j22 View Post
I read that these only recognise 120GB, and are ATA drives?
All eMacs will accommodate 128 Gb or larger ATA (3.5") drives.

Quote:
i'll just firewire the drive as external!
Makes admirable sense. As an alternative, and if you don't need/wish to have a bootable external drive inside an enclosure, use a SATA/USB2 adaptor, like this Amazon.com: Sabrent USB-DSC5 Serial ATA or IDE 2.5-/3.5-Inch to USB 2.0 Cable Converter Adapter with Power Supply: Electronics.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just noting the OP said the drive is a SATA 2.5". Not IDE (ATA) so internal is not possible. I was not aware any EMac has SATA or PCI Slots for a SATA card.

Get an external Firewire 400 enclosure. Be sure it accepts a 2.5" drive. Put in the drive and plug it into the Firewire port on EMac. You can use USB in a pinch but it will be slower than Firewire and not boot if you need it to do that. For just storage though it will be fine either way but Firewire is much faster.

Also I am not sure that Emac is USB 2.0. Not checked in ages.

EDIT: A note on the USB. The older 1Ghz Emac 2003 is USB 1.1 and would be painfully slow with external drive. The 2004 1Ghz is USB 2.0.

http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/emac-2004-1.25-ghz.html

Also another note, the Emacs especially the 1Ghz one for sure do not have the 128GB IDE Limit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac connection to PCs over ethernet | Which Imac? »