New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Locked out of my Imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KudraJenn

KudraJenn is on a distinguished road

Out of curiosity I decided to check out the parental control feature on my IMac.
Huge mistake.....

I have an admin account on my imac, and my son
's that is it. I wanted to see if I could block certain sites from coming up....

Well, I clicked to turn on the parental controls on my admin account and now it will not let me turn it off. It comes up with the login to put in account name and password, it will not take it!

I know my account name and password, but I am now stuck in parental mode with no way of turning it off?

I feel like an idiot and in the meantime I cannot do anything!

What is the best way to correct this?
Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I thought you could not enable parental controls on an admin account.

Are you sure you are in your admin account or have switched back to your sons account

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
KudraJenn

KudraJenn is on a distinguished road

It definately locked out my admin account, it didn't even give me a warning .

I rebooted from the start up disk using C, hoping I could make a new admin account but it would only give me an option of changing the password, I know my password so that wasn't the issue....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Been using Time Machine? If you've been making backups, just restore back before the problem occurred.

And, I agree with louishen. You should not be locked out of your Admin account by setting parental controls. ?? Try creating another admin account. Then log on to the new admin account and see if you can remove the parental controls from the original admin account that way. If not, you may be forced to reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
aquaregia

aquaregia is on a distinguished road

You can DEFINITELY be locked out because of setting parental controls. I thought I was setting them for my son's account. When I clicked them on, the box by 'Allow user to administer this computer' was unchecked. It didn't ask if this was what I wanted to do at all!

This is an incredibly poor design flaw...

So now I can not get into my preferences or do anything that requires a password. Lovely. So there is nothing to do but reinstall and lose what hasn't been backed up? No other options?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New (to me) Mac Mini | Mac Mini weird restart from sleep/screen sleep »