New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G5 won-'t start - flashing question mark on screen.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

martinhall

martinhall is on a distinguished road

Hi Mac users!

I need help with my iMac G5. I've had it for five years now, and it hasn't given me any trouble. However, I've just got back from a two week trip and it won't start-up.

When I switch it on, it goes to a screen with a folder in the middle of the screen. Inside the folder, it flashes between the 'Finder' symbol and a question mark. This is the only screen I can see, and I can't make it respond at all. I'm guessing that this'll involve the system CD in some way, but I doubt I'll be able to track that down!

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

I would change the pram battery and see what happens and move on to the next test and yes you will need system disc.
QUOTE Thanks
merry121

merry121 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, what is a pram battery ? And how do I replace it??

I have a Mac mini ~ 2005. It was turned off for several years and I turned it on again recently as I thought I would give it to a friend who does not have any computer. It did work for about three days but when I turned it off today and turned it on again I got the flashing finder symbol and it is not working since. It also has a CD inside it . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry121 View Post
I have the same problem, what is a pram battery ? And how do I replace it??
Need to know what computer model you have. Be specific!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't Change Mail Preferences - MacMini | iMac and external Seagate Free agent drive - corrupts after reboot »