New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

help understanding my G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

awannabeee

awannabeee is on a distinguished road

hello all;
i need some opinions here.

should i dump a bunch of money into a G4 that only has a 100mhz fsb, or should i save my pennies for a G5. tell me what you think, i dont have a lot of extra income so, to through money at a half dead horse seems to be a waste and buying a G5 will take a while and my wife will probably threaten me with bodily harm for spending the money. there it is, tell me what you think!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Frankly, I wouldn't be putting money into any 5+ year old PPC Mac at this date. Either save your pennies for an Intel Mac, or if you need a computer now, get a cheap Windows machine that will tide you over.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Just put some flavor of Linux on the cheap PC. I picked up a nice HP Pavilion 2.2 gig at the thrift store the other day for $20.00.

Why do you need to upgrage this G4..thought you put 10.4 on it.
I use a Quicksilver to surf with...thats all its for..does a fine job.
QUOTE Thanks
awannabeee

awannabeee is on a distinguished road

i put panther 10.3.9. and yes i can cruise the internet just fine.
actually this machine is as good as an old a 462 mobo i have in a compaq.
i guess i expect too much out of an old machine, and the way my mac friends hype the mac i guess i expected more from this old machine.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Expected more from a machine that is now over ten years old with the 100MHz system bus speed? Dinosaurs is dinosaurs regardless of which company makes them and you cannot escape slow graphics and slow bus speeds and slow processors alas.

Also consider skipping the G5 and saving for a Mac Pro or other Intel model.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying Imac | Mac to TV.. Unable to share same screen »