New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2006 Imac intel failed to start up, now what?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WharfRat

WharfRat is on a distinguished road

Hi all, sorry if I'm asking a redundant question but I need some exper advice.

I have one of the very first intel Imacs and all of a sudden all I get when I turn it on is the white light and a short fan whir for about half a second then after about 10 seconds the white light comes back on, the fan is low speed continuous, and that is it. No screen flicker or anything. Screen never does anything.

Tried different ram, tried opening and changing the small disc battery "2032".

Ive buit a large number of PC's but never an iMac. I really don't have any idea how to tshoot them. I took it to a MAC store and they say "Well It might be the logic board of something else"

Before I give up and toss it, is there any way to know what the problem is w/o just willy nilly changing expensive parts till it works?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Try booting the machine with your original Tiger DVD. If it boots OK, run a verify and repair on the hard drive. Let's see what it says. I suspect your hard drive may have died. It could be something else, but we need to test that hard drive first. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
WharfRat

It won't let a cd in the slot. I can push the cd in the slot and it just springs back out. There isn't a cd stuck in the drive.

Appreciate you taking the time to help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Without being able to use your original install DVD, we have no way to check out the hard drive or do any other kind of trouble shooting. Do you have access to another Mac (must have a firewire port)? If you do, you may be able to boot your machine using Target Disk Mode (firewire to firewire) and run a check of the hard drive that way. The other problem is we don't know if the DVD is bad or the drive is acting up.
QUOTE Thanks
WharfRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Without being able to use your original install DVD, we have no way to check out the hard drive or do any other kind of trouble shooting. Do you have access to another Mac (must have a firewire port)? If you do, you may be able to boot your machine using Target Disk Mode (firewire to firewire) and run a check of the hard drive that way. The other problem is we don't know if the DVD is bad or the drive is acting up.
It acts like the whole machine is dead except for the light being on and the fan slowly whirring. The CD drive acts as if it would when it's not powered on at all. Push a cd in all the way against light spring pressure and it just pops back when you let go. The screen does nothing either, just remains black.
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

Warfrat,

Don't toss it send it to me!! LOL...

I had a probem with an iMac G5 that, you would stick a cd or dvd in and it would spit it right back out again... the parts inside were a bit worn... so after pushing it in had to find a popcicle stick (used it cause its wood and would not short or damage anything) to push the cd further in till it caught and started spinning

you might try that, but then your dvd might get stuck in there permanently

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

It almost sounds like either the Power Supply or the LogicBoard has issues. Remember, this is just a guess. Since you are inside the iMac, try unplugging the hard drive and then power on and see if at least the screen lights up/
QUOTE Thanks
WharfRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
It almost sounds like either the Power Supply or the LogicBoard has issues. Remember, this is just a guess. Since you are inside the iMac, try unplugging the hard drive and then power on and see if at least the screen lights up/
I'll try that and thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Main reason for my question is I have seen at least one Intel iMac that acted that way when the hard drive was really messed up.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I agree...Unplug the hard drive and see if you get the ? mark.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac G4 with Prohibitory Sign on Startup | Cloned my old Hard Drive and transferred to my new iMac = some applications wont open »