imac g4 800mhz logic board question
    So I searched, and found nothing. I just got a free imac g4 that needs a new logic board. it's currently an 800mhz model...before I buy a board, is it possible to toss a 1Ghz g4 board in? I know that the 1.25 ghz boards won't work, but if I can do the 1Ghz instead of another 800, I'd be super happy. Anyway, don't flame me too much, this is my first mac...I'm learning here.

No one flames here. Doing so will get them some undesired consequences. Well..maybe.

I know that it's possible to put a MDD board in a PowerMac G4 (albeit with some modification otherwise), but as for an iMac...
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

Have you cracked open your iMac and looked inside? Not a job for the feint hearted!

Logic boards have different part numbers, the 1GHz has USB 2 so they would not fit. Also that model comes in Rev 1 and Rev 2, 15" and 17" models so there are quite a number of logic boards. Have a look at this link which quotes part numbers and see if you can pick up the precise board on an auction site or used parts dealer:-

iMac Flat Panel Logic Boards, Apple Mac Products, iPod Accessories

I've been building PC's for years. I'm not worried about swapping parts. As for the USB 1.1 vs 2.0... the ports are exactly the same in all dimensions. The issue I would run in to is if the ports line up or not. What I'm looking for is input from someone that has actually done this or has had the two systems side by side and knows for a fact that the boards are physically incompatible with the bodies from the other boards. I have to buy a board anyway...I just don't want to spend the money on an 800mhz board if it turns out that I can get a 1ghz and run a better version of OS X. Stupid Mhz requirements.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jbavousett View Post
    I have to buy a board anyway...I just don't want to spend the money on an 800mhz board if it turns out that I can get a 1ghz and run a better version of OS X. Stupid Mhz requirements.
    Looking at things from a financial point of view. A working iMac G4 is worth about $100-$150 bucks. Obviously the one you have that is not working is worth less. Depending on what you have to spend for a new logic board...this project (from the financial standpoint)...may not be worth it.

Just a different angle to consider,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information