New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Broken Display or, as I call it: Broken Glass Image

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mr.Scade

Mr.Scade is on a distinguished road

My 17",2006 iMac is giving me some problems and this is how it looks like:
http://s750.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC04822.jpg

http://s750.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC04821.jpg

The problem appears at random and it doesn't affect anything besides the image; I can still work and do everything as usual but, as you can see, I can't see a bloody thing.

The problem appeared a couple of months ago after the local MacStore changed a disc driver I had and updating from Tiger to Snow Leopard. This problem also won't appear when the room is cool enough and it will go away as soon as I turn on an AC and wait long enough for the room to cool down.
The problem will go away for a while if I restart the computer or go into stand-by or if it enters screen saver mode.

As far as I am concerned, that's all there is to know about it.

I appreciate any help or information or insight.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Hard to say exactly what the problem is (my guess involves someone not replacing the thermal paste while they were in there). I'm not sure what you mean by "changing a disc driver," but either way you should show this to the store where the repair was done.

Of course, you should have done this two months ago, but still -- if that's when the problem started, then chances are high they didn't do something properly.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Graphical distortion is common when the GPU starts to overheat. My guess is you've either got a faulty fan, or as chas said, someone did a faulty repair.

My guess is the heatsink for the GPU was removed and reseated without replacing the thermal paste -- or they replaced the thermal paste, but slathered it on. Too much thermal paste will act as an insulator, instead of bridging the gap between the heatsink and the processor surface.

Was this repair shop an actual Apple Store, or a "mom and pop" type of shop?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Great minds think alike, cwa107.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I will 3rd that. Totally agree with CWA and Chas. Looks like the GPU is overheating. Take it back to who changed the Disk Drive(???) and make them fix it.

BTW, By Disk Drive do you mean the DVD (Optical) drive or the Hard Drive?

Someone did not either put HS Grease on the GPU or the Heat Pipe is not installed correctly. I hope the GPU is not damaged, but since the issue happened after their repair, they are responsible!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I read that post several times.... It doesn't make sense that whoever did the repair, whether it was to replace the hard drive or optical drive, would mess with the logic board where the GPU is mounted. Either the OP is not telling us the complete story, or his local "MacStore" was messing around in an area they shouldn't have. I too agree with cw107 and chas_m that it sure looks like an overheating problem - a serious one.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Normal CPU temps etc for an i7 iMac? | Unable to delete .backupdb & .inprogress (tried everything) »