New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Moving desktop computers as portables

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bigsnowdog

bigsnowdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4

I have always had desktop computers. Now I have some need for portability as a result of spending time in two places. I had thought I may need to get a laptop as my next computer, even though what I really want is a Mac Pro.

I discovered that you can get travel cases for iMacs, and even for Mac Pros. Are any of you using desktop units in portable fashion, and if so, how is it working for you?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I did this gig for a while -- it gets old REAL FAST.

The first solution was to clone the drive of Mac #1 and carry only the drive with me to Mac #2, then startup from it. Simple.

Second solution even more elegant: MobileMe syncs most of what I need to keep synced (primarily email, contacts and bookmarks) between the two computers. I now keep a little thumb drive to transport non-synced documents between the two.

Another great option is Chronosync, particularly if the stuff you need to keep in sync isn't the stuff MM automatically does.

"Ah, but Chas," you say, "these solutions require TWO macs. I don't want to buy two Macs. What about that?"

There are solutions for that too. What about a Mac Pro at home, and an iPad with a VPN type program for on the road? Just one possibility.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Not quite as you envisage perhaps, but I cart my G3 iMac all over the place. It has its own carry handle fortunately.

Before that I used to lug my G3 b/w tower to places I was staying/working. Cumbersome, especially with the need for a monitor as well.

I imagine a carry case for a Mac Pro would be like a wheeled luggage trolley. Is this what you're thinking of Mac Pro Pelican Case one tough Mac carrying case - SlipperyBrick.com, or this perhaps Apple Pro Rack Carrying Case by CaseCruzer?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
bigsnowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I did this gig for a while -- it gets old REAL FAST.

The first solution was to clone the drive of Mac #1 and carry only the drive with me to Mac #2, then startup from it. Simple.

Second solution even more elegant: MobileMe syncs most of what I need to keep synced (primarily email, contacts and bookmarks) between the two computers. I now keep a little thumb drive to transport non-synced documents between the two.

Another great option is Chronosync, particularly if the stuff you need to keep in sync isn't the stuff MM automatically does.

"Ah, but Chas," you say, "these solutions require TWO macs. I don't want to buy two Macs. What about that?"

There are solutions for that too. What about a Mac Pro at home, and an iPad with a VPN type program for on the road? Just one possibility.
You are correct. I don't want two computers, well, actually I can't afford two computers.

I want to be able to do work in two locations. Work in Word, Indesign, Photoshop, and others.

I don't know the meaning of VPN. What is that?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
You are correct. I don't want two computers, well, actually I can't afford two computers.
Sure you can...just purchase two used computers!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bigsnowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Not quite as you envisage perhaps, but I cart my G3 iMac all over the place. It has its own carry handle fortunately.

Before that I used to lug my G3 b/w tower to places I was staying/working. Cumbersome, especially with the need for a monitor as well.

I imagine a carry case for a Mac Pro would be like a wheeled luggage trolley. Is this what you're thinking of Mac Pro Pelican Case one tough Mac carrying case - SlipperyBrick.com, or this perhaps Apple Pro Rack Carrying Case by CaseCruzer?
Yes, cases like that. Cases for iMac are smaller and lighter.

I really want a Mac Pro. Those cases are expensive. The second one is really stout, and you leave the computer in it and simply remove the end pieces.

The bad thing is the tower is a hair over 40 pounds. A lot to carry around.
QUOTE Thanks
bigsnowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Sure you can...just purchase two used computers!

- Nick
I think the downside of two used computers is being less current.

How long have Intel machines been made, and can the earliest Intel machines run the latest OS?

Is there a best way to buy used machines? ....to avoid the pig in a poke scenario?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the downside of two used computers is being less current.

How long have Intel machines been made, and can the earliest Intel machines run the latest OS?

Is there a best way to buy used machines? ....to avoid the pig in a poke scenario?
Being "less current" depends on your computing needs. Any Intel Mac will do what most computer users need (internet browsing, listening to mp3's, internet streaming video, checking e-mail, run MS Office, etc.). If you have special needs...then maybe you need a newer computer...maybe not.

Intel Mac's were first introduced in January, 2006...and all Intel Mac's can run the latest OS. IMHO...the best place to purchase a used computer is Craig's List...you get to see it before you buy it.

Paying 40-50% of what a computer costed new is VERY attractive to me! If you buy something new...it will depreciate at least 25-30% in the first year...and close to 40-50% by the end of year 2 of ownership. To me paying $1500 for a new computer that will then be worth close to $750-$800 24 months later is NOT very attractive!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
bigsnowdog

Quote:
Being "less current" depends on your computing needs. Any Intel Mac will do what most computer users need (internet browsing, listening to mp3's, internet streaming video, checking e-mail, run MS Office, etc.). If you have special needs...then maybe you need a newer computer...maybe not.

Intel Mac's were first introduced in January, 2006...and all Intel Mac's can run the latest OS. IMHO...the best place to purchase a used computer is Craig's List...you get to see it before you buy it.

Paying 40-50% of what a computer costed new is VERY attractive to me! If you buy something new...it will depreciate at least 25-30% in the first year...and close to 40-50% by the end of year 2 of ownership. To me paying $1500 for a new computer that will then be worth close to $750-$800 24 months later is NOT very attractive!

- Nick
I use mine for publishing. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, CAD, and video at some point, if that offers perspective.

I currently have a G4 desktop running 10.2.8.
QUOTE Thanks
malbright

malbright is on a distinguished road

depending on how far you live from nj and shipping costs to where you are ill sell my g5, little broken 1.6?8 (dont remember off the top of my head) with 2 gigs ram and leopard, and broken as in the external case support stand on the bottom is sheared at the corner but everything works
QUOTE Thanks
bigsnowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbright View Post
depending on how far you live from nj and shipping costs to where you are ill sell my g5, little broken 1.6?8 (dont remember off the top of my head) with 2 gigs ram and leopard, and broken as in the external case support stand on the bottom is sheared at the corner but everything works
Thank you for your kind offer, but I want to get into Intel machines.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I currently have a G4 desktop running 10.2.8.
Believe me...an upgrade from a G4 desktop to even the "lowliest" Intel based Mac...would be a BIG upgrade!

I saw in one of your earlier posts that you would like to get a Mac Pro desktop. Sure doesn't everyone who doesn't need portability...and lusts after the most computing power they can get! But then not everyone has minimally $2500 to "plop down" on a new Mac Pro...if you did...you probably wouldn't still be using a G4 desktop...and JEEZ...still running OS 10.2.8...WOW!

You also need to realize something else (if you don't already know)...there's a VERY good chance that most of the software that you're currently running on your G4 with OS 10.2.8 WILL NOT run on a Intel Mac!!! Not only because new Mac's have an Intel processor...but because the versions of the programs you're running are probably at least 5+ years old.

So what you need to consider when upgrading to a newer Macintosh computer is...not only do you have to spend $1000-$1500 (or more) for the new computer...but you may also need to spend thousands of dollars to purchase newer versions of the Adobe programs & others you use!!!

If you don't want to spend thousands for newer versions of the software you use...then you need to find out what the "newest" hardware & newest OS version you can run those older program versions on...BEFORE thinking about buying a new computer.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bigsnowdog

Quote:
You also need to realize something else (if you don't already know)...there's a VERY good chance that most of the software that you're currently running on your G4 with OS 10.2.8 WILL NOT run on a Intel Mac!!! Not only because new Mac's have an Intel processor...but because the versions of the programs you're running are probably at least 5+ years old.

So what you need to consider when upgrading to a newer Macintosh computer is...not only do you have to spend $1000-$1500 (or more) for the new computer...but you may also need to spend thousands of dollars to purchase newer versions of the Adobe programs & others you use!!!

- Nick
Yes, I understand that, and want to step across that gap because I am going to have to at some point. I need to do it with my next purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Yes, I understand that, and want to step across that gap because I am going to have to at some point. I need to do it with my next purchase.
Ok...no problem. Wanted to mention that...just in case purchasing a lot of newer versions of the software you use wasn't in your budget.

So it definitely sounds like you want an Intel based Mac. Then we need to double check what the minimum requirements are for the new versions of software you would be purchasing.

For example...from the applications you listed previously...looks like Adobe Creative Suite 5 "Design Premium" Edition at $1899 would be a good choice for you. Adobe CS5 requires:

- Multicore Intel processor
- Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6
- 1GB of RAM or more recommended

Any Intel based Mac will fulfill these requirements (new or old)...of course the newer the Mac...the faster it will run the programs. But coming from a Powermac G4 running OS 10.2.8 (like I mentioned before) any Intel Mac (old or new) running OS 10.5 or 10.6 would be a BIG jump!!!

So depending on your needs & what you can afford...one new Mac...or two older used Mac's (anything from 2006 onward) would certainly work for you.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bigsnowdog

Quote:
Ok...no problem. Wanted to mention that...just in case purchasing a lot of newer versions of the software you use wasn't in your budget.

So it definitely sounds like you want an Intel based Mac. Then we need to double check what the minimum requirements are for the new versions of software you would be purchasing.

For example...from the applications you listed previously...looks like Adobe Creative Suite 5 "Design Premium" Edition at $1899 would be a good choice for you. Adobe CS5 requires:

- Multicore Intel processor
- Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6
- 1GB of RAM or more recommended

Any Intel based Mac will fulfill these requirements (new or old)...of course the newer the Mac...the faster it will run the programs. But coming from a Powermac G4 running OS 10.2.8 (like I mentioned before) any Intel Mac (old or new) running OS 10.5 or 10.6 would be a BIG jump!!!

So depending on your needs & what you can afford...one new Mac...or two older used Mac's (anything from 2006 onward) would certainly work for you.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
Thank you. One thing I consider is a desktop and a used laptop. I am uncertain as to the first year of the unibody macbook pro, but that might be a good one.

I have used mac since 1985, and have gotten very long periods of service out of them. My current experience of being this far behind is pretty typical. I got this computer in 2003.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do I have the first new range iMac failure-potential issue?? | Stuck on Grey Screen »