New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

clearing recent history in finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ketch2002

ketch2002 is on a distinguished road

I am having a hard time figureing out how to clear recently viewed items in my finders history. I have cleared recent files and cleared my cache but they still show up in the folder labled today as well as past week. Does anyone have any suggestions or can this even be done. I am able to remove the items by sending them to trash but I do not want to delete these items as some are applications and some important documents. Any help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

There is a menu item to Clear History. I'm not at my Mac to find it now.

But, you can't set it to not save History. The minimum is one day.

Edit: Disregard. I was thinking about Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Quote:
but they still show up in the folder labled today as well as past week.
This folder?

If that is the folder, no you cannot get rid of the files in there.
This is because it is a smart folder, It constantly collects all the files that have the modified Today date, last week .etc info property
The Smart Mac: Smart Folders in OS X

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

The best you can do is go into Finder>Preferences>Sidebar and tell it not to list those folders. Or if you are trying to make something not show up on that list, you can move them to a separate folder or keep theme where they are, then go into system preferences>spotlight>privacy and add whatever folders you want to the list and spotlight won't add those items to the smart folders.

So if I added the movies folder to the spotlight privacy list, it wont bring anything in that folder up when I search in spotlight, or in the Today, Yesterday, last week folders.

Either remove or use spotlight privacy, your only options.
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

Won't Onyx do this??

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Ok, now that I've read the question more carefully...
Those items in the Sidebar aren't actually folders. They are for searching. The files that appear in them still reside in their original spots.
But, yeah, you can turn them off (uncheck) in Finder Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logitech Speakers | 20 iMac »