New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Dual booting Mactel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rosso

With the advent of the new Intel Chip upon us, I am thinking that my ultimate goal for next year would be to snag one of these babies and dual boot. Im sorry if this is a stupid question but will I be able to dual boot? Say for example I have 2 X 250 gig HDs and 1 I use for Mac OS and the other for Windows?

I'm into the mac way of things when it comes to DTP and net browsing but for games, Windows has the upper hand at the moment. Thats why im asking. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosso
With the advent of the new Intel Chip upon us, I am thinking that my ultimate goal for next year would be to snag one of these babies and dual boot. Im sorry if this is a stupid question but will I be able to dual boot? Say for example I have 2 X 250 gig HDs and 1 I use for Mac OS and the other for Windows?

I'm into the mac way of things when it comes to DTP and net browsing but for games, Windows has the upper hand at the moment. Thats why im asking. Thanks
Yes you will. The developer intel macs dual boot but cant go over 800 x 600 in windows but that will be fixed by the time intel macs are released.

QUOTE Thanks
rosso

woohooo my lifes sorted now
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

i think im gonna buy my own intel powermac when they come out...

QUOTE Thanks
Badger

"...Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. 'That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will,' he said. 'We won't do anything to preclude that."
In other words if you want to do it you're on your own.
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

well duh!

QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
"...Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. 'That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will,' he said. 'We won't do anything to preclude that."
In other words if you want to do it you're on your own.
Of corse they're guna say that. They say that about linux too but that runs fine. Also didnt Steve say something about it will be able to dual boot between mac and windows a keynote?

QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamindaines
Also didnt Steve say something about it will be able to dual boot between mac and windows a keynote?
I didn't catch that statement specifically, but let me tell you, if mactels will be capable of dual booting Windows (longhorn at that point?) and nobody else can, they are going to sell a ton of them.
QUOTE Thanks
prostuff1

prostuff1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc
I didn't catch that statement specifically, but let me tell you, if mactels will be capable of dual booting Windows (longhorn at that point?) and nobody else can, they are going to sell a ton of them.
I totally agree with you!! When they sort out the fact that windows can only run at 800 x 600 it will become a real draw to a lot of people. They can buy an apple computer and experience OS X and if they figure out that they do not like it (like that would ever happen) then they could just insatll windows and use that. Not to mention all apps that run on windows will work along with games. Anything that can be done in widows will be able to be done on a mac.

I was all against the move to intel, but now that i have read up on it i think that in the long run it is the best move for apple
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

im not doing it, i see now reason(sone will have a reason) will VPC be faster the same or slower?
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

I could never bring myself to install windows native on a Mac! I hate having to use VPC for the one app I must use for work that is internal and not able to run on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Littleweseth

i'm actually hanging out to see how the new macs will turn out - when i go to uni next year, instead of upgrading my windows box i might get my parents to get me an iMac instead. Alternatively, I could get a job, but.......

(hangs in the wings.)
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Ew.... All the sudden I see a barrage of Windows based viruses designed to attack Mac partitions. Hmm... Dunno if that is possible or not.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
iMe

I'm all for the dual booting. I personally think it will only help the marketshare for Apple. Especially the laptop divison. I can see it now.........Mac users can easily take their laptops to their jobs, and just dual boot when needed. There wont be a need for a $300 Dell. I can also see this happening for students in college, as most first-time mac users going to college wont be as cautious about beening left out.......

But I also see a bad thing about dual booting. and thats software. Now I dont know anything about software business, but I think that gamming software may decrease if we can dual boot. Why.....cause any mac user can just buy the PC version of the games, leaving more company's less interested in creating mac-platform games.
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

you do NOT need to dual boot.

Look, mac osx can run any linux program with the X11.

SO, logic only shows, that running mac osx on x86 will give you the ability to run Wine, WINEX (cedega) and Crossover office which already, if your patient and tweak enough, you can run a VAST majority of apps. I found one guy on OCforums running 3Dstudio max on winex at a about 80% speed.

And you can ask around linux forums. Gamers + linux = windows games under linux for sure. Honestly, some guys out there will spend dayand night trying to make their windows game run on a gentoo system. Doom 3 ran emulated before it even came out. The Cedega guys worked to get just the demo to function. and the cool thing is, the *nix'ers actually get a FPS increase.

No dual boot. Save that second 250gb drive for something else.

Zap2, VPC will be faster, no emulation

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« frontrow reciever for older macs? | System Comparison »