New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

IMac 20" late 2006

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

uschih

uschih is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac intel 20" late 2006

My IMac got stuck with the gray screen. I tried booting with the start up disk to run disk utilities disk repair. Unfortunately did not work.

I guess it's the hard drive, had the same problem with my MacBook about a month ago. At least I had Apple Care and Apple replaced the hard drive in no time.
What else can I try to rescue the IMac?
If I have to replace the hard drive what kind will work with the IMac 20" late 2006? How hard is it to do it my self? There is no apple service provider anywhere close.
At leased we have back up on our time machine.

Thanks for any suggestions!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I need some clarification of your first sentence. When you booted your iMac with the install DVD, did it boot? Were you able to start Disk Utility?

As far as changing out a hard drive in your iMac as a do it yourself project, there are many You Tube videos available that can show you how. There is also the iFixit: The free repair manual web site which has excellent tutorials on how to take your machine apart for various repairs.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
uschih

I ran Utilities disk repair and the respond:
Invalid sibling link
volume check failed
Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit
1 HFS volume checked
1Volume could not be repaired because of error.

I ran extended Apple Hardware test and "no trouble found"

Now I can't eject the start up disk, can't select the eject button under utilities.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Disk Warrior ($99) could fix that, but if the hard drive is failing (and it's four years old, it might well be), the fix will only be temporary.

If you're backed up and out of warranty, if I were you I'd just replace the HD.
QUOTE Thanks
uschih

Seems like I have to replace the hard drive. Would this be a good time to upgrade the ram at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Upgrade the memory after you replace the hard drive and everything is running OK. Upgrading the memory is an easy task, replacing the hard drive on your iMac is more difficult. Do that first.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
drupgren9

drupgren9 is on a distinguished road

I can walk you through the iMac HDD replacement if you want....PM me.
QUOTE Thanks
uschih

Thank you all for you help.

I'm ordering a new hard drive, should I go with Western Digital or Seagate?
My start up disk is still in the optical drive any attempt to eject it has failed, e.g. disk utility and booting while pressing left mouse button.
Any special tips, or should I just wait until I install the new hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
drupgren9

drupgren9 is on a distinguished road

When you restart, just hold the eject button on the keyboard? Should work. I like seagate, but haven't had any trouble with WD either.

What size do you want? I might have some extras here (500gb, 750 and 1tb).

Dane
QUOTE Thanks
uschih

Thank, for the everyones advise.

After installing the new hard drive, I installed the OS X Leopard and than restored files from the backup on the time machine. This morning I received the message that restoring is completed, restart computer. When I do that it reboots brings up the gray screen turns to dark gray screen and the message"you need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button ..." this has been repeating and repeating.
Is this a hard ware problem or software problem?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini EFI & SMC firmware update problem | Should I run Parallels? »