New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MAC G5 Fan Problem - PLEASE HELP!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sheellah

sheellah is on a distinguished road

I woke up early morning to a loud noise like a vacuum cleaner and stumbled over to see where it was coming from and my Mac G5 running 10.5.8 was making it. I've never heard it make that noise before it was SOOO loud. The computer had been running a screensaver and playing a radio program from a website I was streaming to my radio using an FM transmitter. I've done that for years with no problems.

Anyway, I shut it down, and restarted and it was fine. I didn't see the fans spinning though. I installed iSTAT and it's showing the CPU A exhaust at 847 rpm and the CPU A intake at 789 rpm. I don't see the fans spinning on the back of it though I usually see when I look into the computer through the holes in the front. When I check the back of the computer they aren't spinning either. What's strange in that it also gives reading for CPU B and I only have one processor I think.

The CPU A die temp goes from about 116 to 130. The rest are:

Drive Bay 86.9
Logic Board Inlet 83.8
Logic Board ambient 95.5
Logic board Backside 112.3
memory controller heatsink 140.3
processor card 115.2
SMART Disk reads sometimes nothing and sometimes 111 I think--what is that anyway?

Would anyone PLEASE know what's going on with my computer? How can I have fan readings with nothing spinning. They both are down. Could it be the logic board as they both went out at once?

Would REALLY appreciate any help! A bit frantic here!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Hardware test - el pronto! Use the Leopard install disk to boot, and then run First Aid from Disk Utility. Verify the hard disk, and repair (if necessary).

If you don't have the Leopard disk, try Disk Utility from the HD, but you won't be able to make repairs.

If neither of the above reports or repairs whatever might be wrong, you have the option of Disk Warrior, but it's expensive @ ~US$100.

Use System Profiler to get more accurate information about your G5. You may in fact have a dual processor G5, most of them were d-p models. Failing that, download Mactracker http://mactracker.ca/ which will tell you (almost) everything you need to know about your Mac.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

G5 towers have heat sensors..yours may have gone bad.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Odd boot problem on iMac G3 333 | New iMac. Worth keeping G5 as server? »