New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Kernal Panic and will not boot from install disc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Felix610

Felix610 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Have read nearly all the posting on Kernal Panic.

My iMac will not boot up keep getting the Kernal Panic message.

Have tried starting in Safe Mode - but stills refuses to boot

Tried booting with Install disc (Snow Leopard) pressing C while starting but will not read the disc.
Tried booting while pressing Alt key selecting disc, but will not boot from disc.

Reset PRAM but still doesn't help.

Have tried Hardware Test with orig Install Disc 1 Pressing D while booting up this time it reads and conducting the test shows no errors even with an extended test.

Also tried resetting RAM in slots -no joy

Also booted up in single user mode and did fsck -fy showing an error in the catalogue but cannot fix it.

Have a MacBook Pro which I am using now - can I somehow get into the iMac from this machine to work on the iMac??

Any ideas as to what else I can do to get the machine to boot from the disc to use disc utility, or do I need to take it into a shop?

Have done some of the above with help from Apple tel support and reading posts on this forum - but they have no more suggestions except take it to my nearest service shop.

thanks

Pete R

PS iMac details below

iMac 24" Mac OS X (10.6.3) 3.06GHz (Bought May 2008)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix610 View Post
If you have more than 1 "stick" of ram in your iMac (I think that they have 4 ram slots)...remove all of the sticks of ram (leaving only 1 installed) and see if that helps. If not...remove that one ram stick...and then insert another...and see if that works. Keep doing this with each stick of ram till you have stability.

Good Luck,

- Nick

BTW...k-e-r-n-e-l is the proper spelling of kernel. The "Spell Check Police" are on duty 24-7! Ha ha! We're here to "Protect & Serve" members from illegal spelling!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick

The "Spell Check Police" are on duty 24-7! Ha ha! We're here to "Protect & Serve" members from illegal spelling!
Well....Just take me to the pokey....I changed my keyboard last night and things are somewhat better...now just change my fingers Ill be doing ok.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Well....Just take me to the pokey....I changed my keyboard last night and things are somewhat better...now just change my fingers Ill be doing ok.
I'm sending the "Spell Check Police" over to your place right now...for a little "re-education"!

Night-sticks are involved!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Hi All,

Have read nearly all the posting on Kernal Panic.

My iMac will not boot up keep getting the Kernal Panic message.

Have tried starting in Safe Mode - but stills refuses to boot

Tried booting with Install disc (Snow Leopard) pressing C while starting but will not read the disc.
Tried booting while pressing Alt key selecting disc, but will not boot from disc.

Reset PRAM but still doesn't help.

Have tried Hardware Test with orig Install Disc 1 Pressing D while booting up this time it reads and conducting the test shows no errors even with an extended test.

Also booted up in single user mode and did fsck -fy showing an error in the catalogue but cannot fix it.

Have a MacBook Pro which I am using now - can I somehow get into the iMac from this machine to work on the iMac??

Any ideas as to what else I can do to get the machine to boot from the disc to use disc utility, or do I need to take it into a shop?

Have done some of the above with help from Apple tel support and reading posts on this forum - but they have no more suggestions except take it to my nearest service shop.

thanks

Pete R

PS iMac details below

iMac 24" Mac OS X (10.6.3) 3.06GHz (Bought May 2008)
You may be able to get both machines to talk. Google or otherwise search "Target Disc Mode on a Mac" or "Firewire Disc Mode" and try it.

Frankly, it sounds like the hard drive on the iMac is dying.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

How old is your iMac as it does appear, as baggss states, the hard drive is failing? Hopefully it is still under warranty/Applecare and you do need to get to the repairer.
QUOTE Thanks
Felix610

2yrs bought May 2008

I expect to have to pay but the Hardware test shows no prob there - but I guess if its on its way out it wouldn't show up

Of to the repairers then

Pete
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
2yrs bought May 2008

I expect to have to pay but the Hardware test shows no prob there - but I guess if its on its way out it wouldn't show up

Of to the repairers then

Pete
I would recommend a little more troubleshooting...but if you're not comfortable with that sort of thing...and prefer to pay someone to do it...that's ok too.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Felix610

OK what else would you recommend to try and do?

I am comfortable trying most things -

By the way am getting vertical blue lines down the screen overlaying the black screen. Different widths and a different spacing
QUOTE Thanks
Felix610

By the way here is a picture of the screen opened in single user mode see attached and inserted:

Can see the vertical blue lines I mentioned earlier

Attached Images
File Type: jpg iMacScreen.jpg (276.2 KB, 0 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Felix610

Have managed to access the HD using Firewire target mode using my MacBook Pro and am making an image of the file. Using disc utility on to an external HD

When done will try and use this to verify and repair the disc if needs it.

Can I use any other utilites to see if there are any other problems say with graphics or logic board??

Any suggestions welcome
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot log into youtube or facebook on any browser | Multiple windows opening against my will? »