New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Internet Security for iMAC 27?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

new2compooters

new2compooters is on a distinguished road

I recently bought myself an iMAC 27 and so far, I have enabled the Fire-Wall and disabled automatic log in, so that a password is required.
I also downloaded the free version of PC-Tools iAnitVirus.

Is there anything else I should do besides the obvious like avoiding dodgy websites?

I want to be able to shop on line and do internet banking without worrying.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're using wifi at home, make sure you're using WPA2 encryption.

Don't download pirated stuff.

The only other thing you might want to do is uninstall the AV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Every @bobtomay said, and know that there are no virus that specifically target the Mac's. Be weary if anything asks for the admin password without you having done something specifically (starting an installer) beforehand..

If you don't have a router with a hardware firewall, get one and that'll keep you completely safe..

Be smart about what you do and you should be completely fine..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
new2compooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If you're using wifi at home, make sure you're using WPA2 encryption.

Don't download pirated stuff.

The only other thing you might want to do is uninstall the AV.
I have set up the D-Link DSL-2640R router which was provided by my ISP to wired.

The thing is that I also have a Windows Vista laptop which I would like to use as well for out in the garden.
How do I configure the router for WAP2 encryption? (Unless it already did this automatically)

All I did when I unpacked it, was to follow the on screen instructions for power cables and filters, so my apologies for showing my ignorance.

My ISP printed a network password label on the router, so I assume that is secure and not a default password.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2compooters View Post

My ISP printed a network password label on the router, so I assume that is secure and not a default password.
Change the password and change the encryption to WPA2 if it is not set as that already. I am afraid you are going to have to look at the disk that came with the router for instructions, but it isn't that hard.

And as bobtomay said, uninstall PC-Tools iAnitVirus, it will cause more harm than good on your mac. If it hasn't got a proper uninstaller try AppDelete

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
new2compooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Change the password and change the encryption to WPA2 if it is not set as that already. I am afraid you are going to have to look at the disk that came with the router for instructions, but it isn't that hard.

And as bobtomay said, uninstall PC-Tools iAnitVirus, (it will cause more harm than good on your mac).
If it hasn't got a proper uninstaller try AppDelete
As my Mac is currently set to wired, is that why I did not see anything about WAP2 encryption?

Does that mean I will have to change my router settings to allow a wireless network to use my laptop?

Also, is it really a bad idea to use an anti-virus program on a MAC?

And last question, does only wireless need encryption and not wired?

Perhaps wired is the safest way. (Just guessing).

Sorry for these seemingly dumb questions, but I am trying to learn safe internet use as well as computer use and I am new to this stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, you will only set up encryption for wireless. Even if you're not going to use wifi, you should go into the router and see if the ISP set up wifi on it with WEP and if so disable the wifi.

Not necessarily a bad idea, but definitely not a good idea. We see a fair amount of issues with a/v apps on Macs. And since there are no virii in the wild which can affect OS X, the best advice I can give is to get rid of it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Yes it is a really bad idea to use antivirus on a MAC. Since it's a network protocol, it doesn't really take too well to having antivirus software put on it. Likewise, it is a waste of system resources to use antivirus on a Mac (note how it isn't an acronym).
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

And again yes yes yes AV software will bloat an slow down your Mac. Scrap it and if you do run Windows on a Bootcamp partition, download Microsoft Security Essentials.
QUOTE Thanks
new2compooters

I uninstalled the iAnti-Virus program as suggested. I am new to MAC computers, so still a bit sceptical. WPA2 encryption is on, a password is required and I have used the File-Vault device.
I am not sure of the optimum setting for the Firewall, so I have check to stealth mode as well.
Am I safe now?
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

You will very rarely need that tight of security settings, I barely have any on and I'm good. I can't express enough on the need to turn OFF File-Vault, if you forget that password for some reason (maybe you suffered from memory loss or something like that) your files are gone, there is NO way to recover them.
So to answer your question, I think you're going way too far.

And on a side note, it's Mac, not MAC

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My 27" 2.8 i7 iMac died today | Optimal Battery Life + Alternative Options »