New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Problem Saving Large File

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacUserNMSS

MacUserNMSS is on a distinguished road

I've been having problems trying to backup a 5.86 GB file on any type of external drive from an iMac running MacOS-X Snow Leopard. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not very computer savvy. When I'm trying to transfer the file, it stops midway and this is the error message that I get word-for-word:

Failed Backup: mysqldump:
Got errno27 on write: This
backup is incomplete. It is
recommended that you create
a new backup.

Hopefully someone will have an idea about what I can do to solve this problem. I would really appreciate a response in layman's "dummies" terms.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

How are you trying to back it up? Are you using an application or just copying the file using finder?

The problem is most likely the way your external is formatted.

Connect it to your mac and open Disk Utility. Click on your external drive on the left pane of the disk utility window and the panel at the bottom will give you info about the disk. What does it say next to Format ?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Most likely FAT32. It has a 4GB limit on files that can be copied onto the disk.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
MacUserNMSS

Thank you for your replies.

I am trying to back it up directly from MacPractice to the flash drive. When I look in Disk Utilities next to Format it says: MS-DOS (FAT 32).

CrimsonRequiem, is there any way around that 4GB limit? I have read through a google search that you can reformat (supposedly a pain in the butt) or you can download a program that will basically break your file up into smaller parts so that you can put them on your external and then put them all back together somehow (also sounds like a PITB)!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If it's just going to be used purely on Macs then just format the drive (in Disk Utility) to one on the Mac formats. They all handle 4gb+ file sizes.

If you need to keep Mac & Windows compatibility then you'll need to format to NTFS.

The simplest way is to format the drive with NTFS is on the windows machine then use NTFS Mounter to enable writing to NTFS in Snow Leopard.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MacUserNMSS

Grateful, I am mrplow. Try that, I will
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best webcam for imac/leopard? | The next iMac line update »