New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Problems installing new hd on Dual 2.5 PwrPC G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redburns28

redburns28 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 - OS X 10.5.8

I'm trying to reinstall a new hd on to my mac and I'm having no luck. I have a Dual 2.5 PowerPC G5 and running OS X V10. The drive I'm trying to install is a WD Caviar Green Sata 500. I've placed the drive into my mac plugged in the cables and tried booting from the start-up disk and nothing, just the finder icon. The drive I had in there previously was a ATA (the original drive). Do I need to install a something to work with the SATA drive?

I'm not too educated with the internal components on the mac, but I have installed drives before... just never a new hd. Can anybody help me possibly?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The PowerPC G5 Dual 2.5 GHZ machine uses a SATA hard drive not ATA. It has bays for two SATA drives. (Serial ATA)

See the following LINK for specs.

Are you sure you had an ATA drive in there before? Or are you confusing
the terminology Serial ATA, which is the same as SATA?

Or perhaps the machine you're describing is not a PowerPC Dual 2.5 G5? Please clarify.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Did you hold down the C key to boot from the install disc? Sorry if it's too obvious

Anyway, why not use both drives for the extra storage? Just plug in the original drive with the file system installed along with the new drive. You could then boot normally and partition your new drive as another storage space.

Of course I would understand if you want to have the system installed on the newer, maybe faster drive, or just keep a single hdd ... that's rly your call.

As for the disk not being recognized, if you hold down the C during startup and nothing happends, then you might have a damaged install disc, or just dirty? Have you used the cd/dvd drive recently to confirm it's in working order? ... just suggestions

Even if the drives wouldn't be compatible, you should still be able to boot from those install discs ...
QUOTE Thanks
redburns28

redburns28 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 - OS X 10.5.8

Yea, sorry... my bad hd is a maxtor serial ata drive and my computer is a PowerPc G5.

My previous hd crashed and that's why i'm replacing it. I've tried multiple OSX disks and I get the same response while holding down the C key.

I was thinking about cloning my work mac using an external drive and then trying to to startup my computer using the external drive and then reformatting the new hd that way. Is this something anybody has done before? Is cloning safe?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome top the forums.
What start up disc are you using? The only ones that will work are the system install disc which came with the machine when brand new, or a full retail install DVD of OS .3, X.4 and X.5 with a black label. The silver/grey coloured sustem install discs from any other machine will not work
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

I'm not sure how it is with G5's installs, but you might have multiple disc provided with your machine, and only one of these is actually the install ... while other may look almost identical, they can be just installations for additional software
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot iMac G5 from external | Accidentally changed Default Display color setting. »