New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Firewire... no luck connecting 1.8 G5's together

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tastyorange

tastyorange is an unknown at this point

HELP!!! Apple support is of no use!!!
Do the new G5's come with some sort of Firewire software or drivers?
I CANNOT get one G5 to see another when connecting them. (One has heat sensor problems and is going to repair). I did everything from adding "firewire" to the Network Port configurations to buying a new 800 bit/sec 9 pin cable to starting computers in different order and still no luck...
Apple has been called 4 times today and still no help....just different answers.
I have Panther 10.3.7 on both BTW.
I want this to work so I don't have to do it by Ethernet.
Thanks,
Gary
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Have you tried the following. Turn off the problem G5. Get your firewire cable (6 pins on both sides) and connect to both systems. Once connected, power on the problem system. Then press and hold the t key on the problem system. Hold down the key until you see the firewire icon on the problem system's screen.

Once this is done, you should see the disk mounted on the other system desk top.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
tastyorange

tastyorange is an unknown at this point

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!!
We were also doing the T button... but the opposite way (the instructions for set up assistant were confusing to us and we kept using the wrong keyboard) and you are right! All day long we were doing this switching the monitor between both hard drives but apparently not in that order.
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

if its 2 G5's, you could just remove the hard drive on the broken one, and install it as the slave on the working g5. Much faster.

however, this is one really really nice features the macs have. Most pc users are unaware of it. its a real life saver

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Im starting a Graphic Design: New Media Degree and dont know which mac to buy? hlp pl | No more single processor PM? »