New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G3 help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gappage

gappage is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm a bit new to all this Mac stuff but have tinkered around with computers for a few years now and have had a 24" iMac for the last year that has been alot of fun.

Anyway, my other half (Graphic Designer) bought me home a Sage iMac G3 the other day that her company were throwing out. (I love the design of them).

I wanted to try and set it up for the kids to use (and also for me to have a play with as well).

It is running OS9.2 but the main problem is that when it boots up it has two usernames (people that have long since left work) and we dont know the passwords for either of them.

Until i can get past this point then i have no idea about any more of the spec of the machine or what else i can do with it - i.e. maybe upgrade to Tiger.

Can anyone help - i have no idea where to start and at the moment it is a rather cumbersome door stop.

Thanks in advance,
Gappage.

Apologies if i have this thread in the wrong place - not sure where to put it - is it hardware or software?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Shame you don't know the specs. You can certainly run Tiger on some of them, depending on RAM and processor speed, but it's slow.
A better option would be to try and pick up Jaguar or Panther, usually around £25 on eBay. That would certainly get around the issue.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
gappage

gappage is on a distinguished road

So, can i buy Panther and boot directly from the CD somehow to wipe out what is there already or do i need to wipe the disk first and then install (if so then how the **** do i manage that without knowing the passwords.....?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

No your going to have to update the firmware to boot rom 4.1.9 and upgrade to OS 9.2.2 before you can install any thing OSX. Is there a guest user or just the 2 users. With out the installer disc to remove the passwords your stuck. The drive would have to be wiped and OS 9 reinstalled to do the updates. The firmware update keeps the Unix code in OSX from burning up the video chip. It may be more trouble than its worth. Its only a deal... Even if its free if you get all the software that came with the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappage View Post
So, can i buy Panther and boot directly from the CD?
If you do buy Panther, make sure it's the retail version (black colour). There are three CDs. Personally, I wouldn't go past Panther for a G3 iMac. Check Buy/Sell/Trade for the off-chance that someone there is selling older OS disks.

Quote:
how do i manage that without knowing the passwords.....?
Would you believe that there are hundreds of redundant computers that could be kicked into life by using the password 'admin' or 'administrator'? If you haven't already, try it. [A lot of work users just couldn't be bothered with complicated passwords that might get forgotten, so they kept it simple.]

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Also try leaving it blank and if that does not work, maybe the old 1234?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

If you keep punching in the wrong password over and over ...the machine will give you a hint as to what it is. I wouldnt go buy any OSX disc yet. You should try to get in the machine first....If you cant get in you will need an OS9 disc to clear the password.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-DV-So...item5192a35c13
The software is for a slot load Imac.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

You do not say if the other half also bought home the Install Disks - ask her they maybe lying around somewhere. Harry or Hugh will tell us if u can use the OS 9 disk to change the password - i forget.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Harry or Hugh will tell us if u can use the OS 9 disk to change the password - i forget.
Hey...I just told ya 2 times
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

If you have access to the S 9 disc, do a erase and format of the hard drive and a clean install. Then you can access the Apple web site and download and install the Firmware Updater before installing any version of OS X. Here is a link to the updates. Download, read instructions, install, restart using the Programmers button and then proceed with your OS X install.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75130

Do not think you can change the password under Classic (OS 9) even with the system disc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC Shock Help | iMac G3 Wont Startup »