New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Very New & don't know where togo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

systm

Hey all, I just got an old Imac the 1998 version. I have a couple of questions. 1. can i use unpropriatary hardware such as Hard Drives?
2. How hard is it to install os 9.2... I am a total Pc/Linux geek but never touched on this side yet so some type of guidence would help greatly thank you...

-bobby
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

First off welcome to the boards!

I'll take a first swing at your questions... But hang around... there are alot of people on this board that can probably help you alot more.

1. Some unpropiatary hardware will work... Some Hardrives (although I don't think there is room in the iMac for more than one), Memory, and any external device that has os 9 drivers.

2. If you have any PC/Linux installing under your belt (almost everyone these days does) than installing a new OS for you on the iMac should be a piece of cake... Especially if there is no important data on the machine and you can just do a fresh install.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

As long as you use hardware that is within specs you can use almost any brand. Check this site for an illustrated take-apart/upgrade guide: http://www.djonmac.com/index.html. As far as the OS goes, the easiest and least painful way is to get a commercial copy of OS 9 and do a clean system install. That will create an OS 9.2 system, disable - but not remove - the old system and preserve any programs etc. When you're satisfied with the new system you can trash the old one.
QUOTE Thanks
systm

thanx you guys im gonna try and put my maxtor 80 inthere for testing sakes and put 0sX on it to see if it works.....
QUOTE Thanks
systm

okay new problem ...

1. i installed the 80gig and now im getting this firmware thingy..
2. if i have the cd in the rom should it start automatically ?...
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

You can get the firmware update on Apple's site. Go to the support>download area and search for imac firmware. To start from the CD you have to hold down the C key as the iMac starts up. Remember to create the >8 gig partition on the HD to install the system. (Many sites say that is for OS X only, BUT it is for all systems used for booting.)
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Remember to create the >8 gig partition on the HD to install the system. (Many sites say that is for OS X only, BUT it is for all systems used for booting.)
What he means is iMacs and many other 'older' macs require a partition of LESS than 8 gigabytes to boot from. Remember, when these machines were manufactured 8 gig was a pretty big drive.

Which OSX are you trying to install? I don't think tiger will install b/c it requires built in Firewire. if you install os 9.2.2 first, then you can install Xpostfacto to hack the iMac into running OSX 10.3 and higher. OS X up to at least 10.2 'Jaguar' will work fine on the original iMacs (and maybe panther too).

A great resource for older machines is www.lowendmac.com and www.everymac.com.

Good luck and welcome to the mac comunity
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Thanks for the clarification. Just to note that the startup partition has to be the first partition. And if you want to dual boot - 9 and X - both systems have to be in that first partition. Here's one from me: xpostfacto is not needed. The original iMac is compatible through 10.3x as long as there is enough memory and HD space. 10.4 won't install because of no built-in Firewire. There are several forum members who run versions of X on these machines. I have 10.3.9 on my revision D.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Thanks for the clarification. Just to note that the startup partition has to be the first partition. And if you want to dual boot - 9 and X - both systems have to be in that first partition. Here's one from me: xpostfacto is not needed. The original iMac is compatible through 10.3x as long as there is enough memory and HD space. 10.4 won't install because of no built-in Firewire. There are several forum members who run versions of X on these machines. I have 10.3.9 on my revision D.
This may be stating the obvious.... But when making the new partition, if you plan to use dual boot with OS 9, make sure and use the Mac File System (HFS I think it may be called) and not the Unix files system.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm007
Which OSX are you trying to install? I don't think tiger will install b/c it requires built in Firewire. if you install os 9.2.2 first, then you can install Xpostfacto to hack the iMac into running OSX 10.3 and higher. OS X up to at least 10.2 'Jaguar' will work fine on the original iMacs (and maybe panther too).
Just to clarify, the iMac doesn't require XPostFacto in order to install any version of OS X up to and including 10.3.9. You can simply run the installer, assuming you've already partitioned the drive properly. The only time you'd need XPostFacto for this machine is if you were trying to install Tiger.

Oops - just noticed that Badger already clarified this.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
systm

okay I have the iso images on my xp machine i burned the image to cd and put in the mac but still nothing i dont have the original keyboard and mouse im using my wireless k/b and usb mouse. the mac hdd is wiped clean nothing on it. now what next?... so clueless..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Poor SCSI performance in OSX vs OS 9 | imac G3 wireless adapter problems »