New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Cannot copy content folders to external drives?!? Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SFDesigns

SFDesigns is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Brand NEW iMac!!

I work from both home and an office and basically all over. I recently just bought a brand new iMac for my home office (which I am totally in love with) and I am having some trouble with using portable USB & external HDs in order to transport my files.I had an old Powerbook G4 before this and never ran into this issue.

When I try to move a folder from my iMac to any external drive it gives me a message saying that I cannot copy the folder because a folder by that name already exists... when there is no folder by the same name at all! I tried changing the name of the folder, and I still get the same error with the different name?!?! I thought maybe it was just that one folder but no it happens with ALL of them?!?!

I am have tried everything I could think of to NO avail

Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions? I really need to be able to move folders to and from these drives for my job. ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Stacy
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What kind of folders are you trying to move? It sounds like it may be a matter of permissions that is causing the error. Assuming of course the drives you're copying to are either HFS+ or FAT-32 formatted.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SFDesigns

They are just regular folders filled with various types of files. I have never changed any permissions or formats that I know of....?

Stacy
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

I had the same issue when I was copying several folders of pictures from backup Cd's to an external hard drive when I bought my iMac. What worked for me was to create an empty folder with the name I wanted on the external drive and then copy the files over to that drive. If I tried to just drag the folder to the drive to copy that way, it would give the error. Only by dragging the files into a newly created folder was I able to copy them.

There was no pattern to what folders would give the error as some of the copied fine. But this was a workable solution for me. I now have no problem adding files to any of the folders on the external drive now that the folders are there. I don't know if it will work for you, but it is something to try.
QUOTE Thanks
SFDesigns

I have tried the copy and paste method... still won't work.

Stacy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mini Mac - Upgrading RAM? | Frustrating Kernel Panic »