New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mini: The ultimate child-proof computer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

djmitch

Before I bought our Mini, our little boy (under 2 years old) was intrigued by the light on our old Windows computer. So naturally whenever there was a chance to press the power button below that light or to try and stick something in the floppy drive, there he was. He also wanted to be like Mommy and Daddy by using the mouse and keyboard whenever he could.

So when I was considering a Mac, some of what I was looking for involved child-proof features. Here are some reasons why I think the Mini is the ultimate computer in this respect:

1. The power button is on the back of the Mini and wonderfully obscure (some people hate this I love it!).
2. Its tiny size allows me to place it on top of the bookshelf attached to our computer desk, well away from any curious hands. You can't do this to a large computer box without some kind of large, strong shelf.
3. There is no CD/DVD drive button to push anywhere on it so nothing interesting can end up inside the computer even if a child can somehow reach it.
4. I set the Mini to require a password to log on after being in sleep mode (or if the screen saver is interrupted), just like our old Windows box. But unlike our old computer, after our son clicks the mouse or presses some keys it automatically goes back into sleep mode after 30 sec. or so of inactivity. A great feature I never knew about until after I got the Mini!
5. I bought a Mac Tower more for protection from any falling books on a shelf above than from children but I could see it being very good protection if a child should somehow knock the Mini from its shelf.

An iMac is too reachable and easy for a child to tip over. A Power Mac is no different than a Windows box with its front power and drive buttons. And the eMac? Well, it does weigh a ton so its hard for a child to move, but if Im not mistaken the power button is easier to find.
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Excellent points.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmitch
A Power Mac is no different than a Windows box with its front power and drive buttons. And the eMac? Well, it does weigh a ton so its hard for a child to move, but if Im not mistaken the power button is easier to find.
The G5 PowerMac doesn't have a front drive button and the power button does not switch off the machine unless you hold it down for 5 seconds (a quick push will put it to sleep by default but this behaviour is configurable), similarly I believe for the eMac.

Basically apart from the pushing over of the new iMac they are all pretty kiddy resistant.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I would of gone iMac and bolted it down... more power
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

...changed my mind...

QUOTE Thanks
djmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses
The G5 PowerMac doesn't have a front drive button and the power button does not switch off the machine unless you hold it down for 5 seconds (a quick push will put it to sleep by default but this behaviour is configurable), similarly I believe for the eMac.
Thanks for clarifying these things. Macs are so cool - there's been so much thought put into the little things, as I'm discovering day by day.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Older macs | Poor SCSI performance in OSX vs OS 9 »