New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac sound to HDTv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

insomniac24

insomniac24 is on a distinguished road

Ok...I hooked up my iMac to my HDTV using an HDMI cable and got the image transfer no problem. Now Im trying to get the sound to come out of my tv as well. I purchased a stereo mini to RCA "Y"cable, plugged that into the headphone jack in the iMac and into the designated slots in my tv for the correct input. When plugged in, no sound comes from the mac, which I expected, but I also get no sound from my TV. Is there a setting I need to change on my mac or does it not work this way? Or should I purchase a digital audio output if thats the only way to go?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Welcome to the forum.

It has nothing to do with your Mac at this point and everything to do with the TV.

I'll need your TV make and model # for any specific help.

Also, go ahead and let me know which HDMI port and which audio port you are currently using on the TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
insomniac24

I have a Sharp Aquos. It has 2 hdmi ports. one of the inputs, that i have it hooked up to, has a line on it that goes to the audio input as well for the same input # (input 4 in this case, while input 5 is on its own).
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Still need the model #. There are likely 10 correct answers with the 43 models they have out for this year alone.

QUOTE Thanks
insomniac24

sorry....the model is LC-60C46U
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Took awhile, best I can tell, that must be the Costco knockoff model of the LC-46D62U. Sharp like a lot of other manufacturers do not post any info related to the models they sell to Costco, Sam's Club and a few others.

On to your set up, you've got everything plugged in correctly.

Here are the directions from the manual - what you're needing to do is change the audio selection to analog.

QUOTE Thanks
insomniac24

Thanks a lot, works....I feel like an idiot not thinking of doing that in the first place. And yes, it is a Costco version....good call.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help With G3 | How to AVCHD--->prores with Toast? »