New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Can't open files on G4 desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dmkb

dmkb is on a distinguished road

I have an 800 MHZ Power PC G4 iMac that is five or six years old. It has been slowing down for the last year and now I can't open anything on the desktop. I can open files through the Finder but it is a pain to do it that way. Every thing on the Dock opens without any problem. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong and how I can fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What version of OSX is on that iMac? Is it fully up to date update wise?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkb View Post
I can open files through the Finder but it is a pain to do it that way.
What other way did you do it??
QUOTE Thanks
dmkb

I am operating 10.4.11
QUOTE Thanks
dmkb

When I said I have to open files through the Finder I meant that I have to click on the Finder icon on the dock and then open the desktop folder and then open what ever file I want to use. Nothing that is on the desktop will open, except on stuff on the dock. I can drag things around but not open any files.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Pop in your system disk and reboot, holding down 'C' after the chimes, go to Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported as the HDD may be on the way out. You do have the system instal disc?

Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Are you keeping lots of files right on the Desktop? How many? At some point, that can cause problems. Perhaps that is what's happening.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You really should not keep alot of files on the desktop make aliases instead.
QUOTE Thanks
dddbead3

dddbead3 is on a distinguished road

I'm unable to open anything on my desktop with the usual double-click. Words highlight but icons, folders, downloads, and even applications won't open. Dock items only are working fine.
I've read previous notes and 1. checked mouse, which is working fine; 2. deleted superfluous files on desktop; 3. successfully run "repair disk permissions" in utilities with no error messages; and 4. popped in Mac OSX Install disks 1 and 2. On disk 1, I double-clicked file "Apple Hardware Test Read Me" but it wouldn't open. On disk 2, the only file there was "Installing Mac OSX and Applications." When I double-clicked on that -- surprise! -- that wouldn't open either. What's up, and how can I restore my trusty old Mac to its former trouble-free status?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Have you actually booted from the install disk and run Repair Disk from there?

You must boot from the disc, hold down 'C' immediately after the chimes, go into Utilities, select Disk Utilityt and run Repair Disk. You cannot repair a drive you are booted from.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac's Sound and Mic stopped working! | New to Mac »