New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Thoughts on buying a used/refurb mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

freckles

freckles is on a distinguished road

I currently own a Dual 1.8 G5 PowerPC Tower. I bought it back in 2004 and while there isn't anything wrong with it I have been thinking about upgrading to a Mac Pro Intel model.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with buying a refurb mac from apple or a used mac from somewhere like PowerMax. Seems like you can get more for your money that way. Although PowerMax only offers a 90 day warranty on used machines. Not sure what apple's warranty is on refurb macs.

Is it worth it to try and save that way? Or is it better to just bite the bullet and buy new?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

This one is a no brainer.

BUY a refurbed Mac. You get as you stated, you get more for your money and the  warranty is the same as a new machine.
There has been a lot of members on here that have gone the refurb way and they couldnt be happier.
IMO i would (and i will) buy a refurbed Mac. I looking at the MB Al Unibody and ill save myself nearly AUD $300. It will come with only 2GB but ill rip the 4GB i have in my current MB and do swappies lol
Enough about me and MY Mac and back to yours..
DO IT You certainly wont be disappointed

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles View Post
...or a used mac from somewhere like PowerMax. Seems like you can get more for your money that way. Although PowerMax only offers a 90 day warranty on used machines.
In my humble opinion buying a used Macintosh from just about ANY online store is a BIG RIPOFF!!! These online stores charge WAY WAY more than these used Mac's are worth. Sure you get a decent return policy & a SHORT warranty period...but you are paying thru the nose for those benefits.

I feel pretty strongly about this...and that's why I using pretty strong "verbiage".

I would estimate most online stores are selling used G5 computers for something like 50% more than they are worth...and older Powermac G4's that are worth something like $30 bucks...are selling for over $100.

If you want to get the most for your money in terms of a used computer...go to e-Bay or Craig's List. Of course you don't get a return policy or warranty...so you got to be careful what you buy & ask lots of questions.

If you're looking for a new model Macintosh...buying a refurb. directly from Apple is definitely the best way to go!!!

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

+1 for directly from apple. Pretty much foolproof once your bought from them because they are such a reliable company

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Refurbish Imac I7 | Toaster Titanium missing DIVX? »