New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Anti Virus/Maintanance Software & Upgrading Hardware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

i-VTEC

i-VTEC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+

Just a few more questions before I place my order (finally) this month for the Mini.

Do I need any software such as Anti Virus, System Works, Firewall, etc. with Mac?

Future Upgrades. How easy is it to find/swap Hardware (Dual-Layer DVD, possibly HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and Hard Drive) for Mac?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

no antivirus or all that other stuff is needed, maintenance is fairly simple, and there are free apps that work great, os x has a built in firewall. its fairly easy to switch hardware in a mac.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

With a Power Mac tower, swapping hardware is easy--the case pops open as easily as the best PC cases.

iMacs, eMacs, and Minis are a little tougher to deal with. For one, they have slot-load optical drives; for two, they're packed pretty tight. Getting to a Mini or iMac's hard drive is possible, but if you want to add a dual-layer DVD drive, you'd be better off with an external FireWire drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Is this what you're looking for: http://www.mcetech.com/minidvdr8dl.html? As far as security software goes, Symantec announced some time ago that it was no longer developing/upgrading its Mac software except for Norton's Anti-virus. If you feel the need for such software check the test reports on sites like Macworld or MacAddict. They often run comparative tests.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PC guy needs IMac Networking help | New HD in G4 Cube »