Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Jammin
    Guest
    Looking @ a mini, few questions.
    Hi there,

    Im new to these forums.

    Im looking to buying a mac - min within the next few weeks and have a few questions. Im currently running XP and Slackware on my box and laptop, respectivly so have some UNIX based experience. Right:

    1)I have read the 1.25 GHz mini's ship with a 5,400 rpm hdd and the 1.42 GHz one with a 4,500. Some places say this, some dont. What is the truth??

    2)Does X-Code have a perl highlighter (included or module) ?

    3)Are all the development tools in tiger included in just bought, brand spanking install? or does one have to re-install tiger with development tools?

    Thanks much,

    Jammin

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2004
    Posts
    3,378
    The development tools don't come on the system but you can get them from Apple for free, it doesn't require re-installing the OS to install them.

    Everything I have heard says 1.25ghz came with a 5400rpm drive while the 1.42 came with a 4200rpm drive.

  3. #3
    Ex_PC_Puke
    Guest
    Ummmm - I thought I saw somewhere in a Mini review (MacWorld - MacAddict) that the 1.45 also came with a 5400rpm - but can't find it handy


    My 1.4Ghz mini w 512MB is very snappy - no issues here

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Apr 25, 2003
    Location
    The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Posts
    1,301
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin
    Hi there,

    Im new to these forums.

    Im looking to buying a mac - min within the next few weeks and have a few questions. Im currently running XP and Slackware on my box and laptop, respectivly so have some UNIX based experience. Right:

    1)I have read the 1.25 GHz mini's ship with a 5,400 rpm hdd and the 1.42 GHz one with a 4,500. Some places say this, some dont. What is the truth??

    2)Does X-Code have a perl highlighter (included or module) ?

    3)Are all the development tools in tiger included in just bought, brand spanking install? or does one have to re-install tiger with development tools?

    Thanks much,

    Jammin
    1) The 80Gb model is 4200 rpm, the 40Gb is 5400.

    2) What do you mean by highlighter? Are you referring to a Perl aware editor? If so and XCode isn't Perl aware you can use eMacs

    3) The Developer tools are copied onto the machine as part of the install process but you then have to actually install them if you want to use them (i.e all you get is an installer package initially).

    Amen-Moses

  5. #5
    Jammin
    Guest
    Thanks for the replies guys.

    Strange that the 40gB is 5,400 and the 80gB is 4,500. Im not too woried about it, especially for the price of the mini.

    Im 100% a mac virgin, and did not even think about emacs. Yes I did mean a perl aware editor, im a n00b(ish) programmer hence my poor terminology.

    Thanks again. Looks like it is the 1.42, 80gB with 512 RAM for me. Cant wait.

  6. #6
    djmitch
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin
    Looks like it is the 1.42, 80gB with 512 RAM for me. Cant wait.
    Go for 1GB RAM, if you can afford it. I've read numerous posts about how it's noticeably better than 512MB - I don't know for certain, however, because I've only ever had 1GB. Besides, why not max it out now as opposed to wishing you could max it out later?

    It's quite expensive if its Apple RAM (although there was a recent price drop), but you don't void the warranty. If you can install it yourself (much cheaper), apparently you won't void the warrantly unless you break something in the process! Just some thoughts.

  7. #7

    i-VTEC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 07, 2005
    Location
    gta|brampton
    Posts
    175
    Specs:
    24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
    Quote Originally Posted by djmitch
    Go for 1GB RAM, if you can afford it. I've read numerous posts about how it's noticeably better than 512MB - I don't know for certain, however, because I've only ever had 1GB. Besides, why not max it out now as opposed to wishing you could max it out later?

    It's quite expensive if its Apple RAM (although there was a recent price drop), but you don't void the warranty. If you can install it yourself (much cheaper), apparently you won't void the warrantly unless you break something in the process! Just some thoughts.

    I'm going with the 1.2GHz...

    I guess it make sense to go with 1GB, why waste time/money later. The downside is my AEM V2 for my RSX will have to wait

  8. #8
    Kokopelli
    Guest
    I would go with the 256MB and upgrade the memory yourself, it will save you a significant amount of money.

    SubEthaEdit is Perl aware by the way and free for non-commercial use.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about my son's mini.
    By jac33 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 08:48 PM
  2. Questions about Mini
    By brooklyn431 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 09:04 AM
  3. Considering Mac Mini.. questions.
    By iRock in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
  4. Mini Questions
    By PumpkinLand in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-19-2006, 10:02 PM
  5. iPOD Mini Questions
    By vonedaddy in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •