New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Virginia Tech G5 Super Computer


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Emrys

 
Emrys's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2002
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,345
Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

Emrys is offline
Check out this link : http://www.bbcworld.com/content/temp...66&co_pageid=3

There is an .asf video there of the Virginia Tech G5 Supercomputer, as well as some people using it.

I could only get the video to work. I tried both VLC and WMP, and they both bombed on the sound. The video is still cool though

Let me know if you get this with audio, so I can see the wholte thing without having to revert to my Win2K box

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
jhazel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Nice!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
thats pretty sweet
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Yeah, im very proud to be a hokie. The supercomputer ranking currently puts us between 2 and 3 for the top supercomputers in the world, at 17.6 teraflops.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

 
Murlyn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2003
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 4,909
Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Murlyn is offline
Source: MacMinute.com

G5 supercomputer could be 2nd fastest in world
October 15, 2003 - 10:35 EDT Wired reports that Virginia Tech's "Big Mac" supercomputer cluster, which uses 1,100 Power Mac G5s, could be the second most powerful supercomputer on the planet, according to preliminary numbers. "The Big Mac's final score on the Linpack Benchmark won't be officially revealed until Nov. 17, when the rankings of the Top 500 supercomputer sites are made known at the International Supercomputer Conference. But Jack Dongarra, one of the compilers of a Top 500 list, said Tuesday that preliminary numbers submitted to him suggest Big Mac could be ranked as high as second place... The Big Mac's theoretical peak is 17.6 teraflops, which would easily put it in second place behind Japan's Earth Simulator, a monster machine composed of more than 5,000 processors operating at 35.6 trillion calculations per second."

My Comments: Looks like hokiethang knew this before even MacMinute!
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Source: MacMinute.com

G5 supercomputer could be 2nd fastest in world
October 15, 2003 - 10:35 EDT Wired reports that Virginia Tech's "Big Mac" supercomputer cluster, which uses 1,100 Power Mac G5s, could be the second most powerful supercomputer on the planet, according to preliminary numbers. "The Big Mac's final score on the Linpack Benchmark won't be officially revealed until Nov. 17, when the rankings of the Top 500 supercomputer sites are made known at the International Supercomputer Conference. But Jack Dongarra, one of the compilers of a Top 500 list, said Tuesday that preliminary numbers submitted to him suggest Big Mac could be ranked as high as second place... The Big Mac's theoretical peak is 17.6 teraflops, which would easily put it in second place behind Japan's Earth Simulator, a monster machine composed of more than 5,000 processors operating at 35.6 trillion calculations per second."

My Comments: Looks like hokiethang knew this before even MacMinute!
I love being in CS :-D. They told us the theoretical information last week, we hope to have the actual numbers before the 17th though. I will see what i can find out :-D
QUOTE Thanks
dziner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

That is soooo awesome. I wish I could be involved with stuff like this.
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziner
That is soooo awesome. I wish I could be involved with stuff like this.
Im taking parallel computing as soon as i can :-D. It looks like the actual machine is going to run at about 14 - 15 TeraFlops. This was projected from a sampling of the 140 nodes that are online at the moment (and scaled to fit the entire system), which would put it at #2 on the world supercomputer list.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

 
Murlyn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2003
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 4,909
Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Murlyn is offline
Source: MacMinute.com

G5 supercomputer expected to be ranked 4th in world
October 22, 2003 - 11:20 EDT Virginia Tech's new supercomputer cluster, built from 1,100 Power Mac G5s, could be ranked fourth in the world, according to Jack Dongarra, a University of Tennessee computer scientist who maintains the list of the world's 500 fastest machines. "The official results for the ranking will not be reported until next month at a supercomputer industry event," the New York Times reports. "But the Apple-based supercomputer, which is powered by 2,200 IBM microprocessors, was able to compute at 7.41 trillion operations a second, a speed surpassed by only three other ultra-fast computers." Officials at Virginia Tech said they were still finalizing results and that the final speed number might be significantly higher.

My Comments: Well top 4 is still really kewl Now how come we didnt find this out first? Huh hokiethang?
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Source: MacMinute.com

G5 supercomputer expected to be ranked 4th in world
October 22, 2003 - 11:20 EDT Virginia Tech's new supercomputer cluster, built from 1,100 Power Mac G5s, could be ranked fourth in the world, according to Jack Dongarra, a University of Tennessee computer scientist who maintains the list of the world's 500 fastest machines. "The official results for the ranking will not be reported until next month at a supercomputer industry event," the New York Times reports. "But the Apple-based supercomputer, which is powered by 2,200 IBM microprocessors, was able to compute at 7.41 trillion operations a second, a speed surpassed by only three other ultra-fast computers." Officials at Virginia Tech said they were still finalizing results and that the final speed number might be significantly higher.

My Comments: Well top 4 is still really kewl Now how come we didnt find this out first? Huh hokiethang?
hey, some things get by me, im keeping my ear to the ground for my mac-forums team. The actual estimates i have heard put it a bit higher than 7.41 tflops, but a bit higher, but we will have to see what the final numbers are going to be. Right now the only hard numbers i have are 14.6 teraflops with 128 nodes up and running but that was a couple of weeks ago. I will keep my eyes peeled for more info :-D Im just as excited about this as I know most everyone else in the mac world is, now if i could only get my copy of panther any faster :-\
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

 
Murlyn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2003
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 4,909
Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Murlyn is offline
Source: MacRumors.com

Virginia Tech Supercompuer - Now at #3?
MacBidouille links to an interim update on Supercomputer rankings (pdf - Page 53).

The latest results give the Virginia Tech G5 Cluster (2,112 Processors) a score of 9.5 TFlops. Previous preliminary results placed the G5 Cluster at 7.41 TFlops which placed it at 4th place.

The new score of 9.5 TFlops overtakes a Linux 2,304 Processor Intel Xeon cluster from last years list along with what appears to be some new entries this year (see PDF list).

Again, these are still preliminary numbers. Official numbers to be released in November.
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

 
Emrys's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2002
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,345
Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

Emrys is offline
Hmmm, who's winning the race now?

Less processors, and more power. Sounds like Apple is in the lead, if you keep track of that sort of thing...

And this is undoubtably happening with a NON 64Bit optimized kernel. I could be wrong.

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
registar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

If you'd like to see some JPEGS of it, check this out:
http://tartarus.uwa.edu.au/~trs80/Terascale/
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by registar
If you'd like to see some JPEGS of it, check this out:
http://tartarus.uwa.edu.au/~trs80/Terascale/
just to let you all know, there is nothing new posted to that site, that i havent already posted around here somewhere. I am hoping to get a tour of the facility soon, so I will try to bring my camera and take a few shots.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

 
Murlyn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2003
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 4,909
Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Murlyn is offline
Source: MacMinute.com

Confessions of the world's largest Switcher?
October 30, 2003 - 00:25 EST In writing for O'Reilly's MacDevCenter, Daniel Steinberg notes that Dr. Srinidhi Varadarajan would make for an excellent Switcher spokesperson for Apple. Steinberg writes, "His ad might go something like this. 'I was in the market for a new machine. I was hoping to get ten teraflops by the end of the year. I'd never used a Mac and had been looking at Dells and IBMs. Then Apple released the G5 on June 23. A week later I bought 1,100 duals online at the Apple Store. I'm Srinidhi Varadarajan and I build Supercomputers at Virginia Tech (see related stories).'" Dr. Varadarajan received a standing ovation at his presentation at the O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference, which wraps up today.

My Comments: Wow.. I would call him a very large switcher
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Display | I have the same glitch »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iMac Energy Saver is crashing computer? lokerd Apple Desktops 9 10-07-2003 09:30 PM
How Virigina Tech's supercomputer could benefit Apple Murlyn Apple Rumors and Reports 14 09-25-2003 02:43 PM
iPod Secrets, CNN/Money and Virginia Tech on YML Murlyn iPod Hardware and Accessories 0 09-10-2003 02:53 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?