New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

A connection was established but is not a reliable connection and was terminated.,

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeq

joeq is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 867MHz 1.25GB 60GB+80GB DVDRW Zip250 Leopard

"A connection was established but is not a reliable connection and was terminated."

PowerPC 7100/66
Mac OS 7.5.5
NCSA Telnet/FreePPP
Connected to a 10/100 Windows ethernet network via a MacSense Nubus RJ45 ethernet card.
Connected via 3Com 10/100 hub.

I can see the Windows 2003 R2 Server.

Please -- what's my problem?
Is it the Cat5 cable?
I think it's "straight through".
Do I need "crossover" cable?

hanks,
Joe
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Thought I would get to you before the nay sayers ask why your messing with a 7100?. You need to set up like a Lan with a hub. Check that Apple talk is on. What browser are using..thats where your going to have issues. Try to find a PPC version of Icab or Opera. This would set up easier in OS9.
QUOTE Thanks
joeq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Thought I would get to you before the nay sayers ask why your messing with a 7100?. You need to set up like a Lan with a hub. Check that Apple talk is on. What browser are using..thats where your going to have issues. Try to find a PPC version of Icab or Opera. This would set up easier in OS9.
Thank you for your response.

I'm retired and had the 7100 yb storage so I thought I would make it a "project".

Once upon a time it worked in this configuration.

I don't get to the point of launching the browser, which is Netscape btw.

The error message comes from trying to make. the NCSA Telenet/FreePPP connection (which has to be established before launching the browser).

Is a 'straight through' cat5 cable correct?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Yes a Reg. Cat 5. The Mac has to see the Hud as an Appletalk network. Earlier versions of Netscape now lock up on the web...I do use Netscape 7 in OS 9.1,sometimes their are issues at some sites. The thing about Opera is it can be set to text only. The group of extensions called Open transport have to be on. In the TCIP your going to need to change the connection to Ethernet. Just try hooking the DSL or cable modem to the Network.

You do realize its going to be very slow and you will not be able to view sites with Flash content..etc.
QUOTE Thanks
joeq

Quote:
Yes a Reg. Cat 5. The Mac has to see the Hud as an Appletalk network. Earlier versions of Netscape now lock up on the web...I do use Netscape 7 in OS 9.1,sometimes their are issues at some sites. The thing about Opera is it can be set to text only. The group of extensions called Open transport have to be on. In the TCIP your going to need to change the connection to Ethernet. Just try hooking the DSL or cable modem to the Network.

You do realize its going to be very slow and you will not be able to view sites with Flash content..etc.
Thanks again for responding.

All the settings you mentioned are set as you said
I'll install Opera but the problem seems to be in the Telenet layer.

Speed is no problem. I just want to connect.

Am I in a hopeless situation?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Thanks again for responding.

All the settings you mentioned are set as you said
I'll install Opera but the problem seems to be in the Telenet layer.

Speed is no problem. I just want to connect.

Am I in a hopeless situation?

Thanks!
The Tell net drivers are to old in 7.5. I would upgrade to 9.1 and the connection would be automatic. You may have better luck with a dial up modem. Fastermac.net will still connect 7.5
QUOTE Thanks
joeq

Quote:
The Tell net drivers are to old in 7.5. I would upgrade to 9.1 and the connection would be automatic. You may have better luck with a dial up modem. Fastermac.net will still connect 7.5
Thanks again for your help -- I appreciate it!

I'm starting to think of throwing in the towel on this project and not sink any more money into it.

Regards,
Joe
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
Thanks again for your help -- I appreciate it!

I'm starting to think of throwing in the towel on this project and not sink any more money into it.

Regards,
Joe
You may just need a clean install of Free PPP. I see global Village modems at the Thrift store all the time like $2.00. I guess you can still download the modem scripts. Or just look in the modem scripts folder and find a modem to match. I see no real reason why it want connect throw ethernet other than the settings are not right or ppp is corrupt.
QUOTE Thanks
joeq

Quote:
You may just need a clean install of Free PPP. I see global Village modems at the Thrift store all the time like $2.00. I guess you can still download the modem scripts. Or just look in the modem scripts folder and find a modem to match. I see no real reason why it want connect throw ethernet other than the settings are not right or ppp is corrupt.
I installed FreePPP 2.6.2 -- same problem.

AppleTalk is trying to use Generic Modem.
I don't see how to set it to the ethernet card.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
I installed FreePPP 2.6.2 -- same problem.

AppleTalk is trying to use Generic Modem.
I don't see how to set it to the ethernet card.

Thanks!
In the Appletalk control panel change the connection to Ethernet.
QUOTE Thanks
joeq

Quote:
In the Appletalk control panel change the connection to Ethernet.
Thanks!

I have it set to Ethernet Slot 3 (where the MacSense ethernet card is instlled).

But when it's try to connect it uses Generic Modem.

????
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

There has to be a MacSense driver or control panel for the card..check the settings. I havent messed with Free PPP in a long time I would have to crank up my SE30 with 7.5 on it and see the set up. To bad your Mac is not two years newer it would of had built in Ethernet. Ok you changed the connection in the pull down menu on the Appletalk control panel..close the panel and restart.
QUOTE Thanks
joeq

Quote:
There has to be a MacSense driver or control panel for the card..check the settings. I havent messed with Free PPP in a long time I would have to crank up my SE30 with 7.5 on it and see the set up. To bad your Mac is not two years newer it would of had built in Ethernet. Ok you changed the connection in the pull down menu on the Appletalk control panel..close the panel and restart.
MacSense says it uses the Apple EtherTalk driver. I don't see a 'Network' line in Control Panels and don't know how to check if I have Open Transport.

Thsnks again for your support.

Regards,
Joe
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
MacSense says it uses the Apple EtherTalk driver. I don't see a 'Network' line in Control Panels and don't know how to check if I have Open Transport.

Thsnks again for your support.

Regards,
Joe
Open the extension manager and see if open transport is on. It should be in the list with a check mark next to it.
QUOTE Thanks
joeq

Quote:
Open the extension manager and see if open transport is on. It should be in the list with a check mark next to it.

I don't see 'Open Transport' there at all.

I see a "Open Sesame Extension' in the Extensions section.

What about no 'Network' entry in Control Panels?

"Always two there are - a master and an apprentice." .... Yoda
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A new internal HD | iMac and Dust »