New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Playing Small CD's on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BurntSmore

BurntSmore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM

Can an iMac G5 play small Cd's? I have one, but I'm scared that it might get stuck. Can someone explain to me how the SuperDrive works? Attached is an example of a mini CD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80mmtrimclr.jpg (33.4 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You can't use non-standard CD's in a slot loading drive.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
BurntSmore

Thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

If someone would make an adapter like they had for 45 records they would make tons of money. There has to be a way!!

QUOTE Thanks
BurntSmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrman22
If someone would make an adapter like they had for 45 records they would make tons of money. There has to be a way!!
What's 45 records?
QUOTE Thanks
ciaran.mooney

Quote:
What's 45 records?
Jese, has technology changed that much?

Remember vinyl records? They used to come in 33rpm and 45rpm. 45rpm is the smaller if I remember (I'm 18, so its still out of my lifetime. But the oldies are goodies).
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran.mooney
Jese, has technology changed that much?

Remember vinyl records? They used to come in 33rpm and 45rpm. 45rpm is the smaller if I remember (I'm 18, so its still out of my lifetime. But the oldies are goodies).
Knowing that at your age is pretty impressive... :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
ciaran.mooney

Grew up with a huge Hi-Fi that my dad owned. Though he owns some of the crappest LP's I've ever seen.

Just sent the deck to get repaired though. Have 4 LP's I bought from a Car Boot sale. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood, Pink Floyd - Another Hole In The Wall and Wish You Where Here, and Deep Purple - Stormbringer! All in perfect condition 10 (about $18). Bargain!
QUOTE Thanks
parser

parser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac / 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB RAM / 750 GB Int HDD / 250 GB Ext HDD / 40 GB Ext HDD

If I remember correctly, there used to be four (approximate) speeds that various turntables had used: 16, 33, 45 & 78. What are known as '45s' were typically, but not necessarily, about 7 inch diameter discs. I'm sure there were 10 or 12 inch discs out there at some point as well. The only 33s I ever saw were 12 inch discs, but I've heard about 10s. I've never seen a disc that was recorded at the 16 RPM speed, but I have used a turntable that had that speed setting. It's funny to listen to a 78 on 16 speed, but even funnier to listen to a 33 on 78 speed; it's like Alvin & The Chipmunks. I'm guessing the speeds were determined by the need for a manufacturing standard, so once the manufacturing of the hardware was generally standardized, the mathematical relationship of one speed to another (16 X 2 = 32 [which is pretty close to 33]; 33 + 16 = 49 [which is not far from 45]; and 45 +33 = 78 [which is, of course, exact]) was probably a function of, through switching, applying four different voltages to the drive motor to get the different speeds. I'm guessing that the 16 speed was created to get a longer recording on a smaller disc to save on the cost of recording materials. The faster speeds were probably implemented to improve the sound quality by approximating a higher audio 'resolution' of sorts.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I don't know if this will work or not, but I remember someone actually putting a 8 cm cd into round thing slot holder thing. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. But I can picture it in my head perfectly. It was metal, thin, 12 cm and round. And when you put the cd into it, you could use it on slot loading drives.

Well that's what I remember about it. I don't know if something similar is at all available or if it'll work on the imac.

And something a little off topic. Would it be worthwile for apple to do the wii thing and design their drives to be able to read both sizes?
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Buy an external drive for your mac if you need to do this much. They are cheap.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitor Cam | Which RAM to BUY? Screenshot included »