New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac near an open window (humidity, direct sunlight)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Roy G Biv

Roy G Biv is on a distinguished road

I have a young 27" iMac in Indiana, and my desk is in front of my only unobstructed window, which I like to keep open often during the summer months. The iMac is about a foot away from the window. It gets into the 80's and 90's in June/JulyAugust, and the iMac receives about 3-6 hours of direct sunlight in the morning. Also, it's usually in the low- to mid-80's in my room during the summer. Is that very bad?

Should I be concerned about humidity or direct sunlight?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'd be more concerned about dust than the heat. That direct sunlight is also probably not good for it (assuming its running at the time), as that would cause the temp to rise beyond the local temperature.

I'm sure some small adjustments in the placement of the desk, along with an air ionizer in the room (NOT close to the Mac!) would solve both problems.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sunlight does cause most things to yellow also. The aluminum portions of the case will stand up to it, but you'll find any plastics exposed to direct sunlight changing color over time.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

And also direct sunlight for a prolonged time doescause some plastics to so hard and brittle too. So it's best if you can heave the curtains closed for those few hours each day and you should be fine. I do that all year round cause I own the latest model white imac.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Wouldn't even think about leaving a window open around here in the Summer!
Not with the Texas sun able to boil water and fry eggs.

I suggest you consider buying a window air conditioner for your room and use it during the Summer months. Depending on the size of the room, a small unit should suffice. That will not only reduce the humidity in the surrounding air, it'll also help keep the sun off your Mac when you close the curtains.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Roy G Biv

Roy G Biv is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. As for sunlight damaging the iMac's plastic, its back is to the window, so sunlight is pretty much only hitting the metal backing directly. I found this on the official iMac page:

Electrical and operating requirements
Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
Maximum continuous power: 241W (21.5-inch models); 365W (27-inch models)
Operating temperature: 50 to 95 F (10 to 35 C)
Storage temperature: -4 to 116 F (-20 to 47 C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet
Typical acoustical performance
Sound pressure level (operator position): 18 dBA at idle6

The maximum 95 F degrees operating temperature is somewhat concerning, as that will probably be how hot it gets on the hottest days. What about the relative humidity? I'm guessing 95% is really high, but I don't really know what that number means.

Have many people on this board reported Mac computers failing due to humidity or heat/sun exposure?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost Password on my iMac HELP !!! | Updating Mac Pro Hard drives - Advice please? »