New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Need help installing Tiger OSX to external hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Identity

Identity is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac g5 with a 232gb internal hard drive. its the white one not the new silver model. Recently i thought that the internal crashed because one day when i booted my computer it just went to a blue screen and froze there. So i took it to the store and the a "genius" told me that it crashed and he could try reformatting the drive to see if that fixed it, but it didnt at the store. so he told me to get an external drive and i could install Tiger OSx on it and use it as my main drive. So i bought a Lacie rugged 500gb drive with Firewire 400/800. my iMac only has the 400 plug so thats what i hooked it up with. Now when i went to try to do all of this, i put my Install disk in and when i went to pick my drive to install it to for some reason the internal was recogonized and the external had a red marker on it and it says i can not install to this volume. So i reinstalled the OSx to my internal. When i updated the tiger to 10.4.11. My computer froze and didnt work again. I erased the internal again and now i want to install the tiger to the external and use it as my main drive because there is obviously something wrong with my internal. How do i go about getting this done? Why does the external say i cannot install OsX to this volume?

Thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Very confusing post, but keep your eye on this thread:-

Loading Tiger
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Check that disc. If I remember correctly there were two different versions of the Tiger disc. One was a full install disc. The other was an "upgrade" disc that required OS X 103 (a.k.a Panther) be installed first. If you have the upgrade disc that might be the problem.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Sounds like a format issue with the new ex-hdd Ill bet it came formatted as NTFS.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is this the Tiger DVD that came with your iMac G5? I own the 20" iMac G5 2.1 Ghz with iSight camera. 250GB internal.

If the above is true, boot up with the OSX DVD that came with your machine. When you get to the installer, look up top for the utilities menu and click on it and open Disk Utility. You will want to go to the partition tab and click where it says Current and then on 1 new. Also click advanced and be sure it's set to Apple Partition Map. Hit apply. Be sure you have selected your external drive first.

Then the external should not have the red line through it. I did what you are doing but not because my 250 GB SATA internal was dead. I just wanted to see how the original Tiger install that came with the iMac worked Speed wise compared to 10.5.8 Leopard. I have 10.5 on the internal and 10.4 on the external.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuck zip disk | Is mac mini simply imac/macbook internals?? »