New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Failing Hard Drive - iMac 21.5" 500gb seagate

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tsimion

tsimion is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have a 1 month old iMac 21.5" with the 500gb seagate HDD.
Two partitions, one with the mac os x and the other with windows xp (110gb, ntfs).

Last night, while i was working, the hdd started to make some clicking noise and the system slowed down (like when the cpu is at 100% all the time).

Now, booting takes forever. I did get the flashing folder with a question mark on it.

Everything is going so slow. The hdd makes the same noise over and over again - like it's stuck in an infinite loop.

i've recorded the sound on my phone:
Download memo.mp3 for free on uploading.com

I inserted the Mac OS X Install DVD and restarted while holding the c key down.
In the disk utility application, 'Verify Disk' and 'Repair Disk' tasks estimate more than 1 hour to complete. But after 15 minutes, the progress bar was still at ~5%.

SMART status is Verified.

I've tried creating an image of the hdd on an external drive connected via USB but with no luck. The screen doesn't pass the 'Preparing image engine...'.

I think there is a bad sector on the disk and cannot go past it.

Taking it to the authorized apple repair service for a hdd replacement would be my last option.

Is there anything else i can do before declare it dead?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on your first post, but if the drive just suddenly started clicking and refusing to do anything, the internal mechanical mechanism has failed. You need a new drive. Heading to an authorized apple repair is your first stop.

Unfortunately, it happens.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
tsimion

tsimion is on a distinguished road

Chances to recover my data look pretty slim. The noise got stronger. Looks like a typical hdd failure.

So, the next thing to do is take it to apple.

Thank you for your reply.

Best of luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Raiding issues | iMac Brightness: Adjusting on it's own!! »